Dead P4?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to connect to my P4 through the GHL Connect for a couple of days now. Last night I tried accessing through MyGHL on my laptop (didn't connect) so tonight I plugged the P4 into the laptop and cannot connect through Control Center either. Currently the tank appears to be on autopilot, and the display on the P4 just shows "Memory test... All data OK!". I've powered the P4 off an on three times now, and that is the only information that shows on the screen. None of the buttons work either. The P4 is on the latest firmware, but it's essentially a brick right now.

How do I fix this?!?!?

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check to make sure Your host/ip address for the P4 is correct in the connect app. Mine has randomly changed by one digit in the past. It’s worth a shot.

OP
OP

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was something that simple. I can't connect to the P4 via any method - wifi, hotspot, Connect app, myGHL (app or PC) or via USB and the Control Center app. Front panel keys are non-responsive as well. I'm going to start unplugging things and power on/off and see if I can bring it back to life. This is pretty inconvenient...

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you open a ticket for this problem?
The controller won't suddenly stop working without reason. Provide as many details as possible in the ticket so we can help you.

OP
OP

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't opened a ticket yet, trying to save my tank and was hoping this was something someone had seen before.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't opened a ticket yet, trying to save my tank and was hoping this was something someone had seen before.
Currently the tank appears to be on autopilot, and the display on the P4 just shows "Memory test... All data OK!".

You initially said the tank was on auto-pilot...does this not mean the tank is OK despite the display issue?

If it's a critical matter, your fallback states on the powerbar would activate and leave the essential equipment running even if there's no communication with the PB.

You can follow the steps here to recover the device:

It would still be best to evaluate your setup so you at least have a better understanding what of may have happened which lead to this in the first place.

OP
OP

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like it was, but the temp is elevated 2° (non-regulated heaters controlled by the temp probe), and everything plugged into the STDL4-4 is powered off (wave pumps, 2.1 doser, UV).

After much fiddling I've managed to get it back online, the USB connection seems to be what was preventing the reboot from being successful. That doesn't explain why I couldn't connect via wifi for a day and a half. Or why plugging the laptop into the P4 locks it up. I'll put in a ticket.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention you rebooted the P4 several times and the front buttons were unresponsive. I've always found that after a reboot, you need to do the button recalibrate each time. Seems they loose their calibration settings at reboot.

OP
OP

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way to access any function of the P4 if the USB is connected to my laptop - it hangs at the memory test after a power cycle, or locks up when the USB is plugged into the laptop. In either scenario, none of the front panel buttons work, no menus are accessible, etc. When working through the emergency update protocol, the USB connects fine through the USBVCOM.

So the current state is:
USB locks up the P4
Reboots with USB connected results in the device hanging during boot up
No wifi lights
Cannot connect to the device via any method (hotspot, wifi, MyGHL (PC or Android) or USB.
Ticket opened this morning with GHL

At least the P4 is controlling/monitoring the tank now, although I don't know what started all of this 2 days ago.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replied to your ticket.
It seems there is an issue between the chipset on your computer and the USB driver.

OP
OP

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was resolved using an Intel based Windows PC to connect via USB. My new AMD Ryzen machine worked fine via USB for a week or so, but some Windows update broke it. I still don't know why the P4 wifi quit in the first place - it even quit recording sensor data - which is what started all of this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back