Dead power head/smoky smell

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my first water change today on my 75 gallon tank (about 20 gallons), and went to run some errands. Came back and smelled a smoky smell, like electrical burn smell or the smell when you drill out a screw. I think one of the power heads died, as I received a small shock when I took it out, and when plugged in is not functioning. What concerns should I have for my tank? It is currently cycling, so no live stock. What may have caused this? Anything to do with the water change?

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you did your water change: did you turn them off to ensure that if the water level dropped below them, they wouldn't run dry?

OP
OP
drknudsenx2

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you did your water change: did you turn them off to ensure that if the water level dropped below them, they wouldn't run dry?
I had them off, because they are on the same surge protector as my pump. I actually pulled the water from the sump, and then replaced the water back into the sump. I can’t say for certain, but I’m pretty sure the water level in the tank barely changed, and likely not below where I had the power heads placed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back