Dead Tang dead Chromis NOW dead Mantis

  • Thread starter Thread starter killab443
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

killab443

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Manasquan , NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 gallon has been up and running for about a year now. This is my first tank and it has definitely came a long way. Since December I've had a peacock mantis tank plumbed into my setup.
Yesterday morning I woke up to a dead yellow Tang and a dead Blue/green chromis. I immediately tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate ALL measured 0. I went ahead and checked my log on my Aquacontroller and it showed no major PH swings. Tested alk at 11 and Calcium at 460. PH was at 8.2-8.3. After seeing no obvious killers I took my water to the LFS. They tested all of the above as well and said that my water is fine! I woke up today and found my mantis dead on his back. what the heck is going on here? I have made no major changes to my tank in over a month. Nor have I added any livestock or corals.

I run GFO and Bulk reef supply receipt 1 Cal alk MAg. Once a month the sump gets a bag of matrix carbon for one week. Water changes are conducted once a month.
 
I would suspect chemical contamination. House cleaning chemical to close to tank or hand lotion that contaminated the food.
Put in a fresh batch of carbon, and if you think it could be contaminated food I'd throw it out and get some new stuff.



JR,
 
The mantis killed the other fish then comitted suicide after looking back on his crimes. Case closed!
 
The mantis killed the other fish then comitted suicide after looking back on his crimes. Case closed!

Oh my... how did you pull that from my mind before I had a chance to scroll down and say it? lol
 
I'd say stray voltage is a likely candidate. Do you have a grounding probe?
 
I do not have a grounding probe. Checked for voltage in the water and found 0 or less then 1v. I've been feeding mysis shrimp and im on my 10th cube from the current package. No idea what the culprit could possibly be.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new