dealing with flukes in QT tank.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 g that I currently I'm dealing with flukes. I'm dosing with Prazipro right now. everything I read tells me that once done to use carbon to remove the meds. my question is if since I have 2 QT tanks that I'm using at this time. can't I move the fish once the first treatment is done and due the second treatment in the second tank and clean the 1st qt tank with a mild bleach solution and then read the saltwater? then use the first tank again for qt again. I plan on doing a 3 week cycle of prazi. won't a mild bleach solution work just as good and make sure all the bleach is out of it, and reuse it for a 3rd week of prazi treatment. then move back to second QT for bacteria out break from that point. also how long do I need to keep my DT Farrell since the out break of flukes. I have a shrimp, annema, and snails and crabs in there along with frags. I read that I need to get rid of snail and my crabs since they have shells and flukes might be hiding in there doormat until it finds another host to attack. is this true? a pic of the wrasse will be following when I get on my cell phone to post... it looks pretty bad shape but it's surviving.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 g that I currently I'm dealing with flukes. I'm dosing with Prazipro right now. everything I read tells me that once done to use carbon to remove the meds. my question is if since I have 2 QT tanks that I'm using at this time. can't I move the fish once the first treatment is done and due the second treatment in the second tank and clean the 1st qt tank with a mild bleach solution and then read the saltwater? then use the first tank again for qt again. I plan on doing a 3 week cycle of prazi. won't a mild bleach solution work just as good and make sure all the bleach is out of it, and reuse it for a 3rd week of prazi treatment. then move back to second QT for bacteria out break from that point. also how long do I need to keep my DT Farrell since the out break of flukes. I have a shrimp, annema, and snails and crabs in there along with frags. I read that I need to get rid of snail and my crabs since they have shells and flukes might be hiding in there doormat until it finds another host to attack. is this true? a pic of the wrasse will be following when I get on my cell phone to post... it looks pretty bad shape but it's surviving.

P_20180811_221757.jpg

P_20180811_221626.jpg

P_20180811_215317.jpg

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tail fins are gone and part of the fines on it's back appear to be gone. When I open the lid to the tank it gets up and swims for a bit. So I don't open it much tight now. I just let it rest where ever its laying on the bottom. It moved here an there by itself when it wants to swim also. It's wanting and fighting to survive.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can move the fish every 5-7 days to a different QT and dose Prazipro in there. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can move the fish every 5-7 days to a different QT and dose Prazipro in there. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.
then has far as cleaning. everything I read is to use carbon to remove the prazi. can't I just empty the tank and do a light bleach and clean it and then rinse it out. while I move the fish to a second qt tank? and as far as the the fins of the wrasse. will they grow back and what can I use for a bacterial meds for it so there won't be an infection?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then has far as cleaning. everything I read is to use carbon to remove the prazi. can't I just empty the tank and do a light bleach and clean it and then rinse it out. while I move the fish to a second qt tank? and as far as the the fins of the wrasse. will they grow back and what can I use for a bacterial meds for it so there won't be an infection?

Carbon removes prazi, or you can transfer to a second QT while you sterilize the first. Both ways work so long as the fish gets a second dose of prazi 5-7 days after the first.

I would probably treat with a mild ABX (e.g. Kanaplex) after prazi to ensure that tail does not get infected.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon removes prazi, or you can transfer to a second QT while you sterilize the first. Both ways work so long as the fish gets a second dose of prazi 5-7 days after the first.

I would probably treat with a mild ABX (e.g. Kanaplex) after prazi to ensure that tail does not get infected.
I lost the wrasse yesterday, it's a loss but this is also a learning experience since I'm new to this. I still have a green chromas left.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

Hang in there, I lost 3 of my 8 fish last month... and am just now starting to remove the cupramine from my hospital tank, still have 5 weeks left before Fallow period is done on the new set up so I can move them into a good home.

Nothing is truly lost if there is a lesson learned. Pick up ur head and keep it moving. Cant make the same mistake twice in this business.

Good luck in the future. R2R will be here when you need it. :)

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

Hang in there, I lost 3 of my 8 fish last month... and am just now starting to remove the cupramine from my hospital tank, still have 5 weeks left before Fallow period is done on the new set up so I can move them into a good home.

Nothing is truly lost if there is a lesson learned. Pick up ur head and keep it moving. Cant make the same mistake twice in this business.

Good luck in the future. R2R will be here when you need it. :)
I did notice this morning a lot of white stuff on the bottom of my qt. I think it either might be dead flukes or fluke eggs. I'm thinking fluke eggs. cause they looked like little pin heads.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back