Dealing with humidity in a 10x10 room

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
240 total g tank going into my office at home. 10x10 room. I do leave windows open at least part of each day and have a ceiling fan. Do I need to look into getting a ceiling outlet installed, which means a roofer to hook up? What do you all do?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that seems still cheaper than an electrician to hook up a fan to the outside and a roofer to install! If I put a custom lid on the tank and use my office window, it should help with the dehumidifier

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But seriously..... if this room have air vents tied into your HVAC. I don't see a problem

If your tank evaps 1-2 gal of water a day;

During the Summer, your AC unit is going to pull that moisture out of the air

During the Winter, your natural gas furnace really dries out the air in houses below 35% humidity. Your tank evap will just help out the dry air

Just KEEP THY DOOR OPEN to allow air flow

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're lucky...where i live its more humid outside...ran a dehumidifier in the shop even before i had the tank...i'm on my third one in 8 years but the first 2 were used....but if you use one drill a hole in a wall and have it dump outside , emptying the bucket constantly is a pia

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the high and low humidity levels throughout the day and the temperature range in the room throughout the day? What is the difference in humidity and temperature outside of this room in adjacent rooms? If you don't know these readings there are some cheap humidity/temp readers made by acurite. I would suggest getting 2-4 of these and placing one in the room with the tank and some in other parts of the home. Its important to know this information to determine the best course of action for your humidity mitigation. Ventilation, HRV, and a dehumidifier are options but knowing how much humidity is in the home and fish room will help determine a solution that's right for your home. Simply installing ventilation without understanding is effect on a home can be dangerous if you have a natural gas furnace or hot water heater that uses an open chimney there is a risk that too much ventilation can reverse the airflow of a chimney causing carbon monoxide to enter the home.

View Badges

CLOUDLINE T6, QUIET INLINE DUCT FAN SYSTEM WITH TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY CONTROLLER, 6-INCH they have 8 inch also .if it detects humidity it comes on auto and takes it outside .make a new soffit through the attic is away to get rid of humidity.don't turn it on full it will take all the humidity out of house leaving the air dry and can hurt your lungs .just put it on 3 or 4 leave it there. Have them working together with your ac unit this will also take cool air outside but the humidity will be gone just turn on ac down 2 degrees to keep that room cool if you get it just right it will work I dealt with a 14x14 room with 2-125 gallons tanks ,1-75 ,1-40,1-10 gallon and a 32 gallon biocube before all the Hurricanes last year lost everything from a huge tree falling threw house but in 1 month I will start back up ,getting a new place that I can start my 20 year hobby again ,this is the longest I've been without a tank .learn a few lessons this year solar power is on the list with batteries.​

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back