Dealing with some algae in my SPS

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ultraman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ultraman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
411
Reaction score
304
Location
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve treated the tank for Bryopsis in the past with removal of the Bryopsis, but some leftover hair? algae afterwards. I’m retreating for Bryopsis, but it might be an algae that isn’t killed by diflucan.

Any thoughts on removing this challenging algae? NO3 is 8-10 and PO4 is .08.

IMG_4435.jpeg
 
If it was just gha, I’d suggest ordering a few hundred amphipods. For bryopsis, lettuce nudibranch and raising magnesium. This has worked for me several times over the years in different tanks.
That’s a tough spot to have algae on. I feel your pain.
 
I don't see direct application of peroxide being more damaging to that coral than the algae itself. Obviously I'd avoid getting any on the live coral as much as possible.
 
Don't spray, that will get it everywhere. Apply it directly to the algae at the base. The algae will turn white and die in a day or so.

Peroxide will also burn the coral; something tough like a zoa you can just dip directly into peroxide and it'll be fine, but I'd be careful with an acro so you don't kill the flesh around the algae and make the whole thing STN
 
I’ve got some 10cc syringes. I can fill them with H2O2 and turn my flow off, then hit the algae that way if that’ll work? Appreciate the help.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new