Dealing with some hair algae

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75g has started to develop some hair algae on the rocks. It's not very bad but is popping up. So far I have been able to deal with it by manual removal and using food grade hydrogen peroxide. My tank consists of 2 clowns, 3 chromis, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 coral beauty, 1 dot foxface, 1 dottyback, 1 tuxedo urchin and COC. Have a feather duster, duncan, bubble tip anemone, GSP and bam bam zoas. Tank is almost 6mon old. I use RODI water now after switching from distilled for about 3 weeks now for my ATO. I have a refugium that is growing chaeto and is full of it. I'm not dosing anything. These are the water parameters as of today:
Temp - 78F
Salinity- 1.025
Ammo- 0 Salifert
Nitrite- 0 Salifert
Nitrate- 1.11 Hanna
Alk- 15.1 Hanna
Phos- 0 Salifert
Mag- 0.26 (1110) Aquaforest
Cal- 0.38 (310) Aquaforest

After the holidays I plan on starting to dose 2 parts after I get a doser.
20221224_142211.jpg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hairalgae is gonna be the least of your problems if you leave phos at 0. Nitrate is pretty low too. Trust me you want to get these up, nitrate at least 5 and phosphate at least 0.06. Your corals need them too. You don't want to get dinos, that's a ****fight making hairalgae look like nothing.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As well mg is low, cal is low. I got my around 1400, promotes coraline Algae. Calcium I run around the 430. Your all is way high, should be between 7 and 11.

OP
OP
T

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hairalgae is gonna be the least of your problems if you leave phos at 0. Nitrate is pretty low too. Trust me you want to get these up, nitrate at least 5 and phosphate at least 0.06. Your corals need them too. You don't want to get dinos, that's a ****fight making hairalgae look like nothing.
Thanks. What would you suggest to fix the issues?

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed your fish more or start dosing Nitrate and phosphate. Check photoperiod of your chaeto and either reduce it or half your chaeto. Maybe you put in enough nutrients but chaeto sucks them all out. Don't do all at once, small changes but get those numbers of 0.

OP
OP
T

Trooper182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Foxface eating the hairalgae? I am about to get a magnificent Foxface and was hoping he would nibble away some of the hairalgae in my tank.
Honestly, no. He really only eats the pellets and occasionally nori. When I first got him he really loved the nori but dropped off that. I haven't seen him once pick at any of the hair.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back