Debating on getting a smaller skimmer

Same skimmer or smaller?

• Total voters

lambchops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating on whether or not to get a smaller skimmer. I have a 60 cube that only has 2 small fish in it (yellow assessor and orchid dottyback). I purchased a Reef Octopus Classic 150 when I started this tank 4 years ago because everyone said go big or go home. I think I may have gone too big and I'm thinking about stepping down to a smaller skimmer.

Any reasons why I shouldn't. If I should any suggestions on a more appropriately sized skimmer?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the unpopular belief that there is no such thing as too much skimming. Skimmers are so inefficient that if it's pulling some nice looking dark tea, than you're just fine. I'd keep it.

OP
OP
lambchops

lambchops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the unpopular belief that there is no such thing as too much skimming. Skimmers are so inefficient that if it's pulling some nice looking dark tea, than you're just fine. I'd keep it.

It's more like a very weak looking tea.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Tea" is fine...it's called skimming wet and it actually helps your skimmer run better and more consistently between cleaning than dry skimming.

As long as it's skimming reliably then it's not too big – that would be the main problem.

"thick dark sludge" in your skimmer, like you sometimes read about in ads, means you either feed weird, your tank is dying or you're selling skimmers. :D

Unless you have a line on a free/cheap "right-sized" skimmer, there's also the money to consider....your skimmer is paid for. :)

OP
OP
lambchops

lambchops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Tea" is fine...it's called skimming wet and it actually helps your skimmer run better and more consistently between cleaning than dry skimming.

As long as it's skimming reliably then it's not too big – that would be the main problem.

"thick dark sludge" in your skimmer, like you sometimes read about in ads, means you either feed weird, your tank is dying or you're selling skimmers. :D

Unless you have a line on a free/cheap "right-sized" skimmer, there's also the money to consider....your skimmer is paid for. :)

That's good to know, I've always just thought I didn't have big enough of a bioload and that's why it wasn't dark.

Back