Debating on what light for new build, opinions wanted

Which lighting for tank, tank info below in post.

• Red Sea LED 90 x2

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • XR15 g5 x2

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Kessil AP9X x1

• Orphek Alantik v4 x1

• Total voters

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting close to adding water to my new build. The tank is a IM INT 112. Dimensions are 35x35x19. I already have picked up 2 Orphek OR3 blue strip lights for supplemental lighting. Want to mount everything 10-14 inches off the water. Here are the lights I am torn between.

1. Red Sea LED 90 x2
2. XR15 g5 x2
3. Kessil AP9X
4. Orphek Alantik v4

All 4 of these setups are somewhat close in price. My goal is acros on the branch rock scape I created that sits about 9 inches off the bottom glass. The scape is pretty centered, and minimalist. I will har LPS down near the sand bed closer to the edges of the tank so only really need 250+ par over the main center piece of the scape. I hope to hear some opinions, I feel all of these lights have advantages and disadvantages over each other. Photo of scape and tank below for context. Tank will have sand, and dont forget alread have supplemental strip lights.
EC87A499-0CE7-4A34-801C-576BCAB90F00.jpeg
1A7A38AA-D128-4FA8-B85B-E4A6DD26A784.jpeg

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would go with either the 2 XR15 or 2 a360x. Advantage of the a360x vs AP9x is that you can more optimally position them vs the fixed geometry. Xr15 will give more par/ broader coverage where a360x will give more shimmer.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the Orphek will give you the best coverage with those dimensions. Tough to light that space effectively either way. Radion gets my vote because I’m a fan boy, but I feel like 4 would be better.. or 4 or the Red Sea 90s. I’ve seen some really nice tanks running the Red Sea lights as of late.

OP
OP
OREGONIC

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with either the 2 XR15 or 2 a360x. Advantage of the a360x vs AP9x is that you can more optimally position them vs the fixed geometry. Xr15 will give more par/ broader coverage where a360x will give more shimmer.

I do love the shimmer of the clusters of leds under one lens. I really only need the high par over the center. The no built in wifi on the Kessil 360 and the shape is kind of the turn off on those.

OP
OP
OREGONIC

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the Orphek will give you the best coverage with those dimensions. Tough to light that space effectively either way. Radion gets my vote because I’m a fan boy, but I feel like 4 would be better.. or 4 or the Red Sea 90s. I’ve seen some really nice tanks running the Red Sea lights as of late.

I would go with 4 if I were going for wall to wall SPS but I am trying to keep it isolated to the centerpiece of the scape with LPS plced on accent rock and maybe a few other places on sand. Want to keep the minimalist lagoon look. I have seen in person a tank lit with red sea leds and they look really good. Very blue with lots of pop like the xr’s but the shimmer of kessil.

OP
OP
OREGONIC

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you did with the floors there. What exactly is that?

Thanks, its just a piece of 3/4 cabinet grade plywood painted with gloss outdoor black paint. Trimmed it with hardwood transitions, I very happy with how it came out. Trying to make the tank look like it belongs and blends into the room.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need a super bright light since you've clearly already come to the dark side

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 4 if I were going for wall to wall SPS but I am trying to keep it isolated to the centerpiece of the scape with LPS plced on accent rock and maybe a few other places on sand. Want to keep the minimalist lagoon look. I have seen in person a tank lit with red sea leds and they look really good. Very blue with lots of pop like the xr’s but the shimmer of kessil.
Whatever you decide, the build looks saweet! Can’t wait to see it progress.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really I thought I had read they jump in increments. I may need to go back to the drawing board.

i think they are super smooth. Lets say you want your lights on at 11am. You have all the channels set to lets say 40%. At 10am they will come on ever so dim and every 10 mins make a slight increase and do that for the whole hour until they reach the full 40%. So every ramp up and ramp down it makes gradual changes every 10 mins through that hour to reach its set point. I dont think it gets much smoother :)

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back