Debating switch from Kessil to AI

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I believe I already know the consensus here, but.. I am contemplating swapping my Kessil A80s for AI Hydra 32.

On my IM Nuvo 20 I currently have 2 Kessil a80 tuna blue ran by the Spectral-X controller. I am very satisfied with the look of these lights and the controller as well. Tank is softie dominated with a few lps (euphyllia and acans). I am aware the AI Hydra 32hd will be a better light overall in comparison, but has anyone made this switch and will my results be worth the change? Most of the searches I found were comparing hydra 16, 32, and 64.

Cheers

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I believe I already know the consensus here, but.. I am contemplating swapping my Kessil A80s for AI Hydra 32.

On my IM Nuvo 20 I currently have 2 Kessil a80 tuna blue ran by the Spectral-X controller. I am very satisfied with the look of these lights and the controller as well. Tank is softie dominated with a few lps (euphyllia and acans). I am aware the AI Hydra 32hd will be a better light overall in comparison, but has anyone made this switch and will my results be worth the change? Most of the searches I found were comparing hydra 16, 32, and 64.

Cheers
Unless you’re planning on getting into sps (and even then it wouldn’t be necessary), I don’t really see the point, especially if you’re satisfied with the look of the Kessils. I just don’t know that you’re going to see better color or growth by switching (especially with softies and lps, as it is, the lights you already have are likely too strong at full intensity for the corals you have). It sounds to me like you maybe just want to tinker, or buy new lights just because, which is fine, but I just don’t see a need. If you want to do it, go for it, it won’t hurt anything, but I think you’re not going to see enough of a difference to justify the price, and you’ll just end up with a bunch of unused power.

OP
OP
SchrutesReefs

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the responses. I saw so many good reviews on the AI line, and on the other hand a lot of people saying that the 12watt Kessils weren’t close to enough power to grow much other than softies. So that started my rabbit hole of research.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big kessil fan. I would rather add another 80 than switch to a 360 or am AI. The look is great and the incremental cost of another 80 is much lower than a complete swap.

OP
OP
SchrutesReefs

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wasn't a Kessil A160 an option?
I don’t have an honest answer for that. I suppose I saw a couple of AIs and ran with it. I have a Nero3 and the app is user friendly, thought the same would go. I do like the Kessil controller although not all $100 worth of it.

melfy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the kessils :) I had a prime hd on my previous tank but recently upgraded to a 36" long tank so had to switch lights. Yes it's more powerful than the A80, but I don't like the look. Had to turn off red and green otherwise you get that silly discoball effect. You can get the light diffuser but that's another 40$. I'm a sucker for the kessil shimmer lol. My tank is 99% softies. I didn't want to buy another prime hd. Found 2 aquaknight v2 in my basement, they're very similar to kessils (36 watts and amazing shimmer!!!) but much cheaper hahaha

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd much rather have Kessils than AI. I kind of hate my Prime.

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents, as someone who has AI over my main tank and went with Kessil for smaller office tank. Sty in the Kessil brand.

Kessil has a good spectrum, and true UV diodes.

AI has the option to mess with the spectrum, while most probably run AB+ which has worked well for me. But AI also doesn’t have true UV, it’s just a purplish color. Also, AI’s can get the lens melted by the Purplish diode, mine personally melted on my 16HD after 8 months of use.

If I were to restart my Nuvo20, my main tank, I would’ve gone the Kessil route; probably a couple of 160’s

OP
OP
SchrutesReefs

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents, as someone who has AI over my main tank and went with Kessil for smaller office tank. Sty in the Kessil brand.

Kessil has a good spectrum, and true UV diodes.

AI has the option to mess with the spectrum, while most probably run AB+ which has worked well for me. But AI also doesn’t have true UV, it’s just a purplish color. Also, AI’s can get the lens melted by the Purplish diode, mine personally melted on my 16HD after 8 months of use.

If I were to restart my Nuvo20, my main tank, I would’ve gone the Kessil route; probably a couple of 160’s
Good advice, thanks for chiming in!

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both (Kessil and AI) over a Nuvo 20. I really liked the simplicity of the kessil, wish I bought a par meter prior to swapping but I also like and enjoy trying different things ( hardware and tech).

I swap to AI and feel they have a huge community base that shares lots of different settings. The possible issue I see are the spectrum if you start adjusting the different colors/intensity to lower or bump par.

If you already have the Kessil and like them I would stick with them. The simplicity and shimmer is truly amazing.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back