Decided to try my hand at a nem.....

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, like the title says, I'm trying my first nem. (Have a maxi mini, but trying a green bubble tip). I wanted to get something to host my clowns (pair of osc) so I popped into my LFS and found a beautiful wide open, un damaged green BTA. Scooped him up, no damage to the foot. SOLD. Got home, temp acclimated, drip acclimated, and placed into "the perfect spot" Can ya see where this is going. Hahahaha. Well, he enjoyed that spot for about 4 hours, then decided to go on a hike. Into my rock work. And if I stare just at the right angle I can see him in a cave. Read a lot about them doing this so not worried at all as my parameters are spot on and tank just turned a year old on the 15th. Just thought it was worth sharing. Keep y'all posted on his movement and progress.
Immediately after placement:
image.jpeg

About 5 hours later:
image.jpeg

Today when home from work:
image.jpg

(Sorry for all the blue blasting. Not wanting to play with lights for a photo op)

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I read they moved too but I really didn't mind . Butttttttt it decided to climb the glass and host my gyre . I had sponge covers but I cut it off . After about 3 weeks of it using my gyre and me not using my gyre lol . I tricked it to let go and placed it on a rock . Sure enough into the cave it went . Funny critters indeed .

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I found one of my sponge covers for my gyre. Looking for other as we speak actually. Otherwise I'll try n find a replacement set if don't find by end of night. That was my second fear. Nem soup. I'm almost tend to be a hypochondriac of tank issues. Haha. Guess that's why I've only had a few, but very short lived issues I immediately rectified tho.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now he's tucked himself back into the cave on the other side and completely out of the light. While he was out I fed him krill twice (3 days apart) in hopes of making him feel at home. It may be because he's not in the light, but appears to have lost a little bit of color as well. Once lighting goes more white I'll get a pic posted, if I can even get one with his location. There is no gaping mouth from what I can see and he appears to inflate and deflate pretty often (doing a personal water change from what I have read) I feed fish daily, 1 cube mysis and pinch of Rods or LRS Reef frenzy. Corals spot fed once a week as they seem to get pretty well fed during broadcast of tank as well.
I don't want to move and have been letting him do his thing for 2 weeks now. I have the patience, just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to provide a happy home.
Any other advice?
90 gallon 24"deep
Anemone is about 2/3 way down

Parameters:
SG 1.026
No3: undetectable
Po4: undetectable
Calc: 440
Alk: 7
Mag: 1420

Lighting:
Dual kessil 160w
4 HO t5 (ati blue+, ati coral+, 2 zoomed true actinic 420nm)

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)Lol!!! I knew it'd be something like that to coax him out. Otherwise he's just gonna do what he wants. Hahaha. I must say, in my last year and a half of reef keeping, aside from "The Great Anthelia Explosion of 2015", this has been the most nerve racking addition. :confused::Do_O What a reef-a-coaster.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)Lol!!! I knew it'd be something like that to coax him out. Otherwise he's just gonna do what he wants. Hahaha. I must say, in my last year and a half of reef keeping, aside from "The Great Anthelia Explosion of 2015", this has been the most nerve racking addition. :confused::Do_O What a reef-a-coaster.
LOL!
I fuss at my inhabitants all the time!!;)
Show em who boss!!!:rolleyes:
Was cussing Mr Nibbles last night when he got into back chamber of the BC29!!!:confused:

Think he might have flipped me the fin!!!;)

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i fussed at him a bit last night. He must have known I meant it. Nowhere to be seen this morning. Last I saw him, he was heading to the expensive side of the tank. :rolleyes::eek::confused::mad:
ROTL! Well if he movin' he still alive then!!!:)
I noticed my 2 lil' one's were on the move this morning!!!!:rolleyes:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you have better luck than I did. Mine refused to come out in the light or eat the raw food. His mouth never gaped until the last 2 days I had him but he wasted away. Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back