Deciding between 2xSmatfarm 95ws and 2xAi Primes

Sirduckington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder that I want to be able to grow sps and lps for the most part in along with anemones and clams down the road. I'm trying to decide between using 2 AI primes and 2 smatfarms. My though process goes like this - I know the AI primes will work but they're double the price of the smatfarms. I know the smatfarms will work but I like having an app and being able to download other people's programs and such. There is also the added issue that smatfarms are black boxes while ai's are known to work. Any input?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider "blackboxes" a bad thing personally. I just consider it an affordable light that gets the job done just fine.

My big issue with smatfarms is the programmability options. I like a schedule that allows me to start and end the day all blue channels and zero white. In middle of day I like white to be fairly strong. With smatfarm it does ramp up/ramp down and you can adjust duration of the ramp, but it adjusts all channels in equal proportion. I could not find a way to just make it at 8pm all whites go to zero for example. If that sort of thing is not something you want I would recommend them. Lately I been buying nicrews which cost a bit more when u add the controller, but really enjoy them(though still no app).

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Reefi Uno 2 Pro $450 you could probably get a way with one, with room to expand when you go bigger. I have g4 pros with t5 supplements or I would switch to this in a flat second. (any one want to trade :) )

I also have a smatfarm and they are not bad lights and will grow corals. But like mdb_talon said they are limited.

1668148003755.png
1668148101690.png

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Reefi Uno 2 Pro $450 you could probably get a way with one, with room to expand when you go bigger. I have g4 pros with t5 supplements or I would switch to this in a flat second. (any one want to trade :) )

I also have a smatfarm and they are not bad lights and will grow corals. But like mdb_talon said they are limited.

1668148003755.png
1668148101690.png

this right here would be a really good choice

alexroy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking about other options, a pair of the NooPsyche K7 PRO III is a great option.
Where to find those can you send a link I have a reefer 350 I am about to set up looking to light it on budget can you give me options I been looking for weeks now and stuck between a hard place

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make your decision easier I have two like new smatfarm for sale. They are incredible lights, like a kessil and hydra combined. Personally I would never use primes, they are very weak and loud fans.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with black boxes and bought primes within 3 months. Ill say they are decent lights at the used price. I would never pay full price for them. I think with shades they are the cleanest looking light on the market next to Radions. I do not like the clunky look some people have there tank looking. My tank is in my living room. The fans can be loud but mine only turn on for a few minutes at a time during peak maybe 3-4X. They are never on when im watching TV with the fam in the evening. But if i had to do it over i would have gotten Radions.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder that I want to be able to grow sps and lps for the most part in along with anemones and clams down the road. I'm trying to decide between using 2 AI primes and 2 smatfarms. My though process goes like this - I know the AI primes will work but they're double the price of the smatfarms. I know the smatfarms will work but I like having an app and being able to download other people's programs and such. There is also the added issue that smatfarms are black boxes while ai's are known to work. Any input?

Neither. The smatfarm spectrum/visual look sucks compared to other lights, their programming is a bit limited. They are good if you need the cheapest lights possible though. And with primes, I would want 3 on a 40 breeder, plus they have issues with lenses melting.

Get two noop lights if on a budget.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Programming lights on an app is overrated. You are going to set the light schedule once and forget about it.

But it sounds like you already made up your mind on getting the AI. You are looking for others to convince you otherwise. Get the AI or you will always regret it and find nitpicky things to criticize the smatfarm. AI prime is the better light, no doubt. It is also double the price. SmatFarm is a great light but it will not be AI prime because it is half the price. Both will grow corals the same but one will make you feel better about your purchase because we all like to buy shiny things.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan boy of smatfarm but AI light primes are so overpriced for what they are, for sps you will need 4 on a 40B and you will have excessive fan noise.

There are other options besides these two but smatfarm is the better of the two and best “black box” I have used

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking about other options, a pair of the NooPsyche K7 PRO III is a great option.
Screenshot_2022-11-11-08-02-57-21_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back