Deciding how to stock your tank to fit your lifestyle!

Does your job or life commitments make owning a reef aquarium easier or harder?

• Easier

Votes: 92 21.7%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 185 43.6%
  • Harder

Votes: 139 32.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 1.9%

• Total voters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you stock your tank with fish and coral to fit your lifestyle?

I get what I want...as well as it fits into the “biology” of the aquarium.

What type of things do you take into consideration when choosing?

If I like the fish/coral and it does some sort of “job” AND I like it, then I get it.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only aspect on the job to my reef is traveling, because of feeding. I guess how busy I am also have an affect.

But the difference in feeding only really affects the fish that only takes frozen. So far, cardinal is the only fish I had that don't take pellets long terms. Once fish taking pellets, feeding is no longer a problem with an auto feeder. My anthias got pellets 4 times a day from the auto feeder, then another 2 or 3 times frozen.

But for most fish, the first couple months will be more involved to get it situated.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My current tank started around 2010, a 29 gallon in wall with sump. I didn't want anything much bigger. My plan if I had one was mirror my success with my first reef from 2000 which was softy/LPS dominant. I did go bigger, had a melt down, life got busy, etc. Even the current set up got away from me a few years ago and all the LPS and zoas perished and GHA was taking over. I have a total of three fish, I don't expect to have any more. Two clowns(13 years old) and something else, right now it is a six line wrasse. I just started to add a few hardy SPS but would never be a dominant SPS reef without a rebuild/redesign. I do have the basic equipment covered for leaving it alone for the weekend, ATO, kalk doser, heater controller. I get a house sitter for week long trips, we have cats and a dog as well.

What type of things do you take into consideration when choosing livestock for your reef aquarium?

I chose livestock that has done well for me in the past, but even that can be challenging due to the space constraints of a 29 gallon. I don't want "delicate" corals, since in a smaller space things can go awry quicker like temperature and I live in the Northeast where long term power outtages are a concern and I may get called away to work during those outtages. I have a small generator, but have yet to use it for the tank. Our last several day outtage was 14 years ago.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m retired and 73, taking care of the tank is much easier however my tank did better when I was working and spending a lot less time on its care. I also moved from socal to Elizabeth, co.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pretty mixed bag for me. I'm disabled and some days it's really hard to justify keeping my tanks. I have four salt displays, three total systems. Two of those are reefs, one is a display refugium/dwarf seahorse tank connected to one of the reefs, and one is a frag tank, on top of that I also have 3 freshwater tanks that are all high tech/high level of work, plus two six gallon betta tanks that are medium tech (they have nice lights and passive co2 that needs to be refilled two times a day.) It takes me a solid hour to do the daily maintenance/feeding on a good day, on the bad it can take me up to four hours with breaks in between steps and on the really bad days, my partner will feed the tanks, but he doesn't understand all the minutia that goes into keeping high level tanks.

That said, I have a lot of little tricks for simple things that I've figured out over the years, and I honestly wouldn't change a thing about fish keeping (though I'm still holding out for a brand new robot body!)

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m not sure that a tank has to crash. I know of many people that have been running for years my self included with little issue. Most of the time if I see dye off I can test my water and find out what caused the issue. You might be holding your self back if assuming everything is going to die. As long as proper live stock and corals and there demands are met you should have little fear.
But with a full reef, there is much more at stake ($1000+) than in a fish-only (~$300ish). But who knows, I may just have a change of heart some day..... Best wishes for your continued success !

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I stock mine according to wish list, availability and how attractive they will look in my tanks

What type of things do you take into consideration when choosing livestock for your reef aquarium?

price/color/ease of care and compatability

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being retired and on a budget...the lack of a job makes reefing more challenging. The expensive lighting, controllers and other hardware is difficult to plan and purchase, with the added stress of not wanting to choose the wrong equipment.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely stock to fit my lifestyle. I know for a fact that I couldn't handle something like an NPS tank with me still in school and all.

I like to choose things that are generally easy, hardy, and pretty. I like low maintenance animals like gobies and Chromis. My wrasse is great for a low maintenance tank, as it helps me feed regularly to keep the nutrients up. If it is going to be problematic, I bounce my ideas off of other reefers and google to see if it'll work.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as the sole proprietor of my construction company my job and business never stops. So definitely harder. I'm on job sites all day everyday. then I'm doing paperwork and estimates all night. None stop phone calls and the never ending employee needs and oversight. I try to do my best to maintain my tanks on the weekends. 210 gallon fauler and a 160 gallon reef. Also 30 gallon frag tank. I love reefing though its a nice break from the day to day. Will never stop. Reef on fellow reefers.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work from home so I’m in a great place to keep up with and maintain my tank. On the other hand, stopping to mess with the tank every time I get up from my desk is a huge distraction. I have a mixed reef and I mostly avoid the harder to keep corals until I get better at this.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life has been pretty crazy lately but in general life can just be pretty crazy at times no matter what is going on in the world! Jobs, family and other commitments can play interference when it comes to your reef tank or maybe it's the other way around! :) When choosing livestock for your tank do you think about the time commitments some specific livestock can demand? Like certain fish require multiple daily feedings or some coral require extensive water testing and element supplements to keep healthy etc. How much do you factor this type of stuff in? Certain jobs or life commitments are going to allow you more or less time to put into owning and maintaining a reef aquarium. So let's talk about it today!

Michael J. Cuttone's Reef
r2rmichaeljcuttone.jpg

What a lovely tank. I'm new and I'm still learning about the different types of corals. I'm presently cycling and will be ready to introduce fish with a purpose. Reef specimens, I'm guessing at least 6 months out. Would you be able to name your species starting top left going right/down to bottom right?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to name your species starting top left going right/down to bottom right?
I would hope the answer would be yes to this question. :) I think a responsible reef keeper should know the names of everything they keep. Scientific names included. Right along with care requirements for each species. And hopefully they have done their research!!!

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pandemic has given me greater flexibility with my reef. Can do smaller maintenance chores at various times during the day (not just all at night like before). I've been able to take several fish through TTM and QT and monitor them a bit more closely. I also finished a few projects that I'd wanted to do a long time but never really had the chance. All that said, I haven't done anything I won't be able to maintain into the future.
That’s me also. I have a 3YO established 65g tank and set up a new 130g tank at the start of the year. When the pandemic hit in March I moved to 100% work from home and that certainly made it easier to get the new tank up and running.

I’m after a mixed reef but not trying to keep anything too difficult. My smaller tank is LPS and Softie only (as the huge Sinularia I have kills any SPS I have tried there) but in the new tank I am growing a few SPS (and not adding a leather). Still LPS dominant but want some SPS. Heavily invested in automation to break the back of the work and make it possible to go away for a week or three and have someone inexperienced keep everyone alive.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I am 60 years old and no longer have a job, I stay pretty busy. I love my aquarium but do not want to be a slave to it.

So I have chosen a high nutrient macro algae reef with lots of fish. My 17 fish feed the coral and macro algae with fish wastes. The macro algae, LPS and soft coral and sponges naturally take up the excess nutrients so with an every other week 10% water change, the tank seems to stay in a good balance.

I get to enjoy a lush looking tank with lots of activity and do not have to be monitoring parameters, (which I am not good at).

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
— Absolutely, I do. Why take the risk by choosing unsuitable livestock? The way I see it you’re just setting yourself up for greater chance of failure and or loss.

— If I can provide everything the creature needs to thrive (or at least survive). Not only a suitable environment but maintaining it properly, having the time and money to be able to provide what’s needed, long term. Livestock are not dispensable or replaceable objects to me they are like my pets, my responsibility.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope the answer would be yes to this question. :) I think a responsible reef keeper should know the names of everything they keep. Scientific names included. Right along with care requirements for each species. And hopefully they have done their research!!!
I think you misunderstood my question. No rhetorical shade intended. I was asking you to name them. There are a few I don't recognize and want to read more about them. That is the point of the question. Research.

sagedrake690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what to do with this 55gal. I have my one and only wanted sea creature but they need sand flats. (Horseshoe crabs) so I been using it to run tests and experiments lol.

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is coming this week so I haven't exactly started anything other than planning. I'm trying to select easy care level low maintenance fish and coral for now.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back