Deciding on new tank

coopthetitan

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
5
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
Looking at getting peoples opinions on determining what new tank I should get. I currently have a reef Casa Studio 15gallon which has been running for close to 3 years now. It is an AIO tank and I have fell in love with the hobby and of course now I want to upgrade. The only problem is that I am young guy who is going to be moving out into a new apartment and I expect a handful of moved happening in the next years before I finally settle down. I was looking at getting a UNS R75 but I do not know if that will be too difficult to move as opposed to another AIO aquarium. Any input or advice on the subject would be awesome.
 
I think a lot depends on what you're willing to take on, but if you're planning on moving the tank several times in the next fwe years, I think about 40 gallons would be as large as I'd go. I think that 40 gallons would be a sizable upgrade from a 15 gallon, but small enough that it can be moved around when needed. Of course, your milage many vary 🙂

Good luck with whatever you choose!
 
I walked away from the hobby due to needing to sell everything to buy a home/ life etc when I was younger. I walked away in 2019. I just came back in 2025. If you plan on moving a bunch I would be careful taking on too much load that the fish tank requires.

I walked away for 5-6 ish years. I don’t regret that whatsoever. I would say just be careful on the load the fish tank requires plus moving is scarey once your live stock grows
 
I think a lot depends on what you're willing to take on, but if you're planning on moving the tank several times in the next fwe years, I think about 40 gallons would be as large as I'd go. I think that 40 gallons would be a sizable upgrade from a 15 gallon, but small enough that it can be moved around when needed. Of course, your milage many vary 🙂

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Yeah looks like I might go with a UNS 75A which is an AIO 40gallon. Might just be easier to move and then after I can turn it into a frag tank or a quarantine tank once I get a more permanent residence.
 
I walked away from the hobby due to needing to sell everything to buy a home/ life etc when I was younger. I walked away in 2019. I just came back in 2025. If you plan on moving a bunch I would be careful taking on too much load that the fish tank requires.

I walked away for 5-6 ish years. I don’t regret that whatsoever. I would say just be careful on the load the fish tank requires plus moving is scarey once your live stock grows
Walking away or staying with my 15 gallon does seem like a good plan and I appreciate your story but the hobby is one of those things that I enjoy too much to just get walk away from. I was thinking of getting a 40 gallon AIO which would be an easier move than a 40 gallon with a 10 gallon sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new