Dedicated Dishwashing Machine for Aquarium Equipment

spockagain34

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Messages
24
Reaction score
5
Location
CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I get older, I’m starting to struggle hand brushing pumps, power heads, and other aquarium equipment. I’ve been thinking of getting a cheap, small dishwashing machine (new) and using it solely for my aquarium equipment. Nothing would ever be washed in it except aquarium hardware that doesn’t have any Electronics attached and the only detergent I’d put in it would be citric acid, and I’d only have it set up to run with cold water. Anyone think of any reasons why this wouldn’t work?
 
As long as it's plastic tub I think it would be OK. Question is will the heating element cause issues? Would you be able to run it on a hot wash, cold rinse? My dishwasher only has a hot water connection.
 
As I get older, I’m starting to struggle hand brushing pumps, power heads, and other aquarium equipment. I’ve been thinking of getting a cheap, small dishwashing machine (new) and using it solely for my aquarium equipment. Nothing would ever be washed in it except aquarium hardware that doesn’t have any Electronics attached and the only detergent I’d put in it would be citric acid, and I’d only have it set up to run with cold water. Anyone think of any reasons why this wouldn’t work?
I’d use the one in the kitchen after doing a rinse cycle before washing your equipment. Gotta keep things in perspective :-)
 
As long as it's plastic tub I think it would be OK. Question is will the heating element cause issues? Would you be able to run it on a hot wash, cold rinse? My dishwasher only has a hot water connection.
Good question! I’d probably just remove any heating element. And I’d do a custom set up in my garage, I’d only run cold water to it.
 
I’d use the one in the kitchen after doing a rinse cycle before washing your equipment. Gotta keep things in perspective :)
That would probably not be a good idea. Exposure to soaps and cleaners generally doesn’t end well with reef/tank livestock. And there is just no way to grantee zero cross contamination from whatever is in your kitchen dishwasher.
 
That would probably not be a good idea. Exposure to soaps and cleaners generally doesn’t end well with reef/tank livestock. And there is just no way to grantee zero cross contamination from whatever is in your kitchen dishwasher.
You probably already guessed that I find the concern about soaps, detergents, chemicals, etc. over blown, but agree, if you are going to lose sleep over it, best to buy peace of mind. I did find the idea of using a dishwasher a clever idea.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new