Deep clean tips?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got some salt on the way, and some GFO for my phosphate issues and I’m super excited to get my tank back into tip top shape!

On Friday as I’m doing a water change I plan on removing some of the rockwork one by one and scrubbing off as much GHA and crap as I can, while also getting rid of some nasty pests such as vermatid so thag when I start running this GFO I don’t have GHA already in the tank.

Has anyone done this and has some tips on the best way to do it?

Originally planned on removing everything one by one, and placing back in as each piece is cleaned and pests removed. Obviously some things I’m unable to move, things like coral being attached etc but for the most part I can.

Thanks!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If youre going to remove the rocks I would suggest using some peroxide in the water you scrub them in, that will help alot. If its just a brush it all off, I have done the same thing but I just used a tooth brush. It actually works really well for GHA. Now for the vermetid snails. People may judge but if youre removing the rock to brush algae off, I found a butter knife is your bestest friend. You can pry most of the vermetids off very easily like that. And you wont stab your self over and over, not that I did that or anything....

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If youre going to remove the rocks I would suggest using some peroxide in the water you scrub them in, that will help alot. If its just a brush it all off, I have done the same thing but I just used a tooth brush. It actually works really well for GHA. Now for the vermetid snails. People may judge but if youre removing the rock to brush algae off, I found a butter knife is your bestest friend. You can pry most of the vermetids off very easily like that. And you wont stab your self over and over, not that I did that or anything....
If anyone judges you for your treatment of those rat jerks, they must be a vermatid snail in disguise haha thanks for the tip

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back