Deep (front to back) custom build help

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ay reefers!

I closed on my first home and you know what that means: new tank!!!

I have a 180 gallon waterbox which will be used to house my angelfish. I will be building a custom tank and am about to put the order in and would love your input as I make a final decision on specs.

I love deep tanks (not height) and am looking at a mixed (primarily SPS) working display that is 4’ x 4’ and 20-22” high.

I’m primarily looking for the depth that you get with more square shaped tanks:
135B2927-448F-48E2-A9F6-C7FCF71D99D7.png

I’m 6’2” and have long arms so I’m not worried about the 4’ depth and width to work in the tank.

For stand height I’d like to keep the tank close to eye level for guests as it is still a display. So I’m thinking 34” on the stand height (to fit in a 36” doorway).
With a 22” tall tank that gets me to 56” or so to the max height of the build.

Curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on these wide and deep tanks. And if I should consider anything in particular before finalizing my specs. I’m debating going 5’ on the length or width just to max my coral grow space out, but am not sure if that is getting a little too big for access.

Thank you all!

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ay reefers!

I have a 180 gallon waterbox which will be used to house my angelfish. I will be building a custom tank and am about to put the order in and would love your input as I make a final decision on specs.

I love deep tanks (not height) and am looking at a mixed (primarily SPS) working display that is 4’ x 4’ and 20-22” high.

I’m 6’2” and have long arms so I’m not worried about the 4’ depth and width to work in the tank.

For stand height I’d like to keep the tank close to eye level for guests as it is still a display. So I’m thinking 34” on the stand height (to fit in a 36” doorway).

Curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on these wide and deep tanks. And if I should consider anything in particular before finalizing my specs. I’m debating going 5’ on the length or width just to max my coral grow space out, but am not sure if that is getting a little too big for access.

Thank you all!
Go as big as you feel comfortable with. I'd say 5x4x22. Fantastic size and give great space. Personally I'd go for 30 in deep. It would suck to get to yhe back but you'd more space for growth and naturally behaviors of schooling species of fish

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as big as you feel comfortable with. I'd say 5x4x22. Fantastic size and give great space. Personally I'd go for 30 in deep. It would suck to get to yhe back but you'd more space for growth and naturally behaviors of schooling species of fish
So 60x48x30in

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input!!! : )

I don’t want to go too high as that will make working in the tank more difficult.

Ideally I’d max at 24” tall for the tank.

I am considering going 5’ as this is it. This is the new home big tank and I have no significant other to say no : )

I like the centered state reefer zen if you will that can come from a tank that has the same width and length. I feel going from 2’ to 2.5’ from edge to center (going from 4’x4’ to 5’x5’) may make working on the tank much more difficult.

That said, 4’ long against the wall x 5’ deep front to back could work as I’d have still 2’ of space from the side edges to the center.
Whereas a 5’ long against the wall x 4’ deep front to back would be challenging to reach out into the tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents....

if you have the space or can make the space for it. think about a center over flow so the tank is a full 360 "peninsula" if you will/. that would be cool!

if not I like your thoughts of 4x2x22'' who is building this bad boy?

oh and con grads on the new house. get your tanks up now before you get a partner. for some reason they tend not to like a house full of tanks...LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch!

Yep you’re right- I gotta make sure I do this one right and get the right dimensions that will do the trick for a very long time as this is all the space I have to work with.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall is your stand?? I’m currently going with a 22” height on a 36” tall stand. Still thinking 4’x4’, but considering having it come out an extra foot.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ay reefers!

Thank you all!
5’x4’x22” sounds like a perfect tank, not too little swim room for active fish and not be smashing into coral all the time.
I’m actually curious on what people think their favourite height is because I find my height (18”) to be too shallow for my top dwellers and they all just mash into eachother, there isn’t a specific top dwelling fish or a bottom dweller, they all just go into the middle.
Also don’t forget the depth in the sand! You may want a deeper sand bed (2”) so that you have the 20” in-tank height. Another thing that comes into play is what sort of growth would you want? Plating and out or up and tall.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60x48x24 is a nice dimension, it helps to get the natural growth where they’re not all just jumbled together, in some tanks the “Artificial” growth works but in others it doesn’t. Also will manage to separate the three layers of a tank, and you won’t just have every fish in the same area 24/7. Looking forward to this tank being built and setup.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input. I agree the 5’ width x 4’ length would offer more dimensions to work with and view than the 4’x4’ square foot print

This would be a working display tank. Mixed reef, primarily acropora. No sand bed.

The tank will be made by crystal dynamics.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the short person category, but over the years I’ve come to realize that taller tanks look better and better as they mature. Deep tanks (front to back), are awesome peninsular designs but in reality you don’t get to appreciate it from the normal viewing positions if it’s not a peninsula. My 65 gallon is 26 inches tall and 18 deep. I would appreciate a little more depth just for the fishes swim room but the presence the coral has is so much more satisfying. Just something to consider if you have the height to maintain it.
36212658-E4D2-4633-9BE6-32FDAD4A8107.jpeg
974E1CFE-79FA-49BF-B1CF-1290F7BB0D8F.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool and unique aquascaping challenge! perfect for doing a "channel" like you'd see between a lagoon and open ocean. Is it rimless? 'Cause you could stack rock up in a back corner and have a mangrove like one of my systems here.
Is your system only going to be seen from the front or can it be seen from the side(s)?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input!!! : )

I don’t want to go too high as that will make working in the tank more difficult.

Ideally I’d max at 24” tall for the tank.

I am considering going 5’ as this is it. This is the new home big tank and I have no significant other to say no : )

I like the centered state reefer zen if you will that can come from a tank that has the same width and length. I feel going from 2’ to 2.5’ from edge to center (going from 4’x4’ to 5’x5’) may make working on the tank much more difficult.

That said, 4’ long against the wall x 5’ deep front to back could work as I’d have still 2’ of space from the side edges to the center.
Whereas a 5’ long against the wall x 4’ deep front to back would be challenging to reach out into the tank.
If you can have a remote sump, a 30 inch deep tank but lower stand to get to your 56" or less height is an awesome solution!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for 30 unless you want a lagoon look. Going only 24 in height it'll look almost like a frag tank. Just because it's so much wider and longer
+1 to this - I was going to recommend 30” but then saw you’d ideally want to max out at 24”.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks crew!

Yea, debating going the 5’ and potentially up to 24”.

As much as I’d like to get away from water changes, they’ll always be a critical tool to ensure health of animals. A 4’x4’x22” aquarium is 220 gallons. Going to a 4’x5’x22” aquarium is 270 gallons. At a 20% water change, you’re looking at 44 gallons for the 220, whereas for the 270 you’re looking at 54 gallons. Not bad a 10 gallon difference..

Hmmmm. I’ll be dragging a lot eventually in the tank, so I may still stick at 22”, but agreed would like to avoid the lagoon feel given the length and width… May have to go to 24”.
Thanks for your help.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! Thanks!
I've got an 8x3x2 400g and 8x30x24 320g.
My next built will definitely be 10',12' long at least 4' wide and between 30-36" tall. No sand and properly planned flow will minimize the work on the bottom.

Side note I would really recommend a closed loop system for flow. Either a couple drain ports closer to the top and pvc returns down towards the bottom with vca nozzles, or multiple ports on the back with both drains and returns and vca nozzles! Lessens the need for a ton of powerheads. I run 4 jebao mcd10000 on mine. Never need to vacuum the bottom.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back