Deep & wide: Do you prefer a tall or shallow tank?

Do you prefer a tall or shallow tank?

• I prefer a tall tank.

Votes: 163 22.7%
  • I prefer a shallow tank.

Votes: 412 57.5%
  • I prefer a tank, but don’t have a shape preference.

Votes: 124 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 2.5%

• Total voters

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like shallow (in my opinion anything less than about 20 inches) and deep front to back. Step stool or no step stool is fine as a tall stand is nice and roomy

ShoalSister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer shallow and long. Long to provide swimming strides and shallow for ease in maintenance. But, i have a mix of deep and shallow set ups because I bought tanks that were on sale.

I have fowlr set ups. Also most of my fish don't seem to like hanging out in the upper 3rd of jy deeper tanks...except for a pigmy file fish.

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm loving my brand new IM Shallow Reef 120 - it's 6' long by only 16" deep and I can reach the bottom no problem. Just finished cycling 3 days ago and don't have anything in there but pods yet. But I really really like it.

"Danny's Aquariums" shallow reef inspired me - but I couldn't find a similar size tank so went bigger instead

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i’m okay with either, although my current 40B is just too good to pass up. 75-90G i i’ll be as big of a tank as i’ll get unless i get the tank custom made to what i can envision.

i2ik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your arm length and what kind of tank. For peninsula, you can have a wide tank and be able to work on both side of the tank.

I rather have a wide tank and less height. I have a 36 inch wide and 27 inch tall with an inch of sand peninsula view. I find that size balanced to my liking

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you consider tall? What do you consider shallow?

Both my reef and my FOWLR are 24 inches top to bottom. I think that's a nice compromise between giving the fish and corals enough room to be happy and not being so tall that maintenance becomes a real chore.

In terms of shape, I'll always take longer vs shorter. My reef is 5 feet long and my FOWLR is 8 feet long. Keeps the tang police away...

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12-14” tanks would be my preference. Unfortunately they are more expensive and less available than deeper tanks. If I want more volume I’d put it in the sump. It costs significantly more and is much harder to light a deep tank and I wouldn’t ever go deeper than 18” again.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a tank that is half as deep as it is wide. i.e. 5ft tank = 30" deep. When it comes to height, 24" is generally good. A little shorter is easier to clean and aquascape, but at the shorter height some circulation pumps stir up either the surface or sand bed too much. Surface agitation can causes too much noise in the overflow.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define tall or short. I think anything over 24 inches as tall and anything under 20 inches as short. 30 inch tall x 30 inches depth makes for hard cleaning unless you can access front and back. Size is relative to space you have and money. A 48x48 x 20-24 tall with viewing all the way around allows you to reach anywhere in display for maintenance. Could even go 30 inches tall.
But like all setups comes down to the look you want in the space. Larger surface area means more flow, more lights, more evaporation. Most people are not looking for a frag display like lfs. Taller tanks require thicker glass and or eurobracing. Personally I would love a tank that I can view all the way around and top down. But at my age just can't see that kind of money and maintenance.

Pacific North Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tall tank now an old 50gal, but after seeing all the different shapes out today, the shallow reef is cool but takes up some space, at least with a tall tank, you can keep it from sticking out like sore thumb! With the caveat that it not be so tall that I can't reach the bottom (ideally, I'd like to have a 48 X 24 x 21 OR 72 X 24 x 22)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's 18" deep. 60" x 30", long and wide... and shallow. Shop I know has a 3' deep tank... you need a scuba setup to clean the durned thing.
FullTankShot.jpg

Keep your sleeves dry :D

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 16.5 tall tank. 60 gallon. If I get another larger tank it’ll be a shallow one. Do have a taller freshwater in living room. But since I don’t have to put my hands in too often I’m fine with it.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For side viewing, I like deep. 30 inches is a practical limit for what I am willing to spend on lights and the length of my arms.

I do also really love shallow tanks with an option to view from the top (like really well done frag tanks). My frag tanks are 24 inches deep and this was a mistake that I will eventually remedy.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back