Delayed in Transit

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story, short: I ordered a CuC online. Was supposed to arrive Thursday, Oct 7. Due to shipping delays, they won't arrive until Monday, Oct 11, maybe.

How long can snails survive in transit? What do I look for as far as DoA? Company representative is basically "wait and let me know what they look like when you get them" kind of attitude.

Thanks in advance for opinions/answers

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be ok; the "smell test" on opening the bag on arrival should give you a good indicator. Check their website and see what their DOA policy is, ie: they will usually want a photo in the bag, out of the bag, etc. within a certain timeframe of arrival.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, that's a long delay. Is it only snails, or other inverts, too?

Their condition will depend on how they were packaged (not 100%, but it will definitely contribute). Take photos as soon as you unpack, while you acclimate, and of any DOA you see obviously from the get, and/or once you drop them in.

I just had a bad experience from a specific vendor — the smell of dead sea creatures was strong and about 50-60% was dead. It arrived two days after it was shipped.

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, that's a long delay. Is it only snails, or other inverts, too?

Their condition will depend on how they were packaged (not 100%, but it will definitely contribute). Take photos as soon as you unpack, while you acclimate, and of any DOA you see obviously from the get, and/or once you drop them in.

I just had a bad experience from a specific vendor — the smell of dead sea creatures was strong and about 50-60% was dead. It arrived two days after it was shipped.

It is a pack of small snails and hermit crabs.

I'm definitely worried, but we shall see. Is there anyway i can tell which ones are dead right away, or once they're in the tank? I don't have a way to QT them as i hadnt planned in it being an issue. It is my first tank and the tank is just starting ugly phase.

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Received package today. Opened box and it smelled fishy :(

Ice pack? (Sealed white bag with water?) Was melted. Livestock bags were deflated, though i'm not sure if they're meant to be full of air like pet stores do. Little bit of water that hermits were in was very cloudy. Dwarf cerith water was very grimey and blackish. Took pics, emailed company. Floated bags. Nerites were in okay shape. Very little odor and some movement. They went in tank. Nassarius didnt smell bad either though they were very small and hard to see any flesh inside shells. In the tank. Florida ceriths were pretty rank, and several has long seaweed-ish bits coming out of the shells, which i presumed to be innards.
Dwarfs were just as bsd though too small to see anything. Hermits were non-responsive and 1 fell outta shell.

Sad day.:(;Sorry

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks to hear. Hope the vendor takes care of you. Shipping delays are not their fault, but in my opinion the good ones work with you to at least split the loss(ie you pay shipping and they send replacements)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back