Deliver me from Lighting mistakes! Light recs for 90-gallon reef

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used Reefbreeders. People seem to really like them. I've seen some really nice SPS tanks lit with Photons. If I was choosing LED for a 4' 90 gallon, they would be on my short list. With 'panel' style or bars or strips, I would get the fixture as long as the tank. @Ron Reefman could tell you anything you wanted to know about them.
Reef breeders photons would be high on my list as well.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at an aquaticlife T5 hybrid. You can run T5 only for now. Then if/when you add sps, then you can add LED’s of your choice.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everyone has already recommended every light out there and your probably right back to where you started, I want to throw you in another direction! Solar! That's right solar light tubes, possibly with a few light bars of your choice to make up some of the lighting needs on late nights or early mornings, let the overcast days be natural on your reef as well, there's actually a few cool tanks that have been done with them, and that was years ago, the solar tubes have gotten so much better and more stylish to look at with better diffused lighting produced. If your going to think about lighting you have to atleast think about the one time cost 0 electric option of SOLAR!!$$

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with Logan at Reefbreeders for a long time. I was even a competitor to him when I worked for a different light manufacturer for a couple of years (a long time ago). Reefbreeders does EXCELLENT customer service! And the fixtures are near bullet proof. As far as I'm concerned, it's far and away the best value in a high quality led fixture that has multiple channels and 24 hour level control for each channel!
I've been using them for years.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with Logan at Reefbreeders for a long time. I was even a competitor to him when I worked for a different light manufacturer for a couple of years (a long time ago). Reefbreeders does EXCELLENT customer service! And the fixtures are near bullet proof. As far as I'm concerned, it's far and away the best value in a high quality led fixture that has multiple channels and 24 hour level control for each channel!
I've been using them for years.
Thanks, Ron! I down to the Photon 48-V2 (I wish I could find the + to save a few hundred bucks) or going Hybrid. I think the plug and play option from Reefbreeders is probably best for me at this point. I appreciate the feedback. It's reassuring to know they make a good product and stand behind it.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ron! I down to the Photon 48-V2 (I wish I could find the + to save a few hundred bucks) or going Hybrid. I think the plug and play option from Reefbreeders is probably best for me at this point. I appreciate the feedback. It's reassuring to know they make a good product and stand behind it.
I recently installed a 24 inch photon v2 light on a 24x22 inch tank. It's too early to tell how well it will grow coral but I'm confident it will. My LPS are loving to so far. The reason I went with that one is because I wanted a single light and didn't want one with lenses that stick out and cause lot of light spill. The noopsyche have that lens but in my canopy it's not an issue. This new tank in in our dining room so I didn't want the light spill. I went the the back mount so it's a pretty clean look.
This
20230406_160347.jpg

vs this.
20230406_160406.jpg

I guess there are pros and cons to all of them. The reef breeders app work well for me also.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a 24 inch photon v2 light on a 24x22 inch tank. It's too early to tell how well it will grow coral but I'm confident it will. My LPS are loving to so far. The reason I went with that one is because I wanted a single light and didn't want one with lenses that stick out and cause lot of light spill. The noopsyche have that lens but in my canopy it's not an issue. This new tank in in our dining room so I didn't want the light spill. I went the the back mount so it's a pretty clean look.
This
20230406_160347.jpg

vs this.
20230406_160406.jpg

I guess there are pros and cons to all of them. The reef breeders app work well for me also.
Boom! That's what I needed to see. I currently have a canopy, but I don't love it and am considering losing it. This tank is in our den, so light spill is an issue that I should be considering. Thanks for sharing. It looks great! I really dig the aquascape.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 2 kessil a360x's and 250w mh if i ever switch to all led i would go with the reefi uno's

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome! And now?! What's your tank look like pure awesomeness?!

Many thanks for the kind words. Nothing to brag about now. That tank unfortunately met it’s end in early 2021. Built a house and there was something of a lengthy interlude between move out and move in so it had to come down. I have since upsized and it just hasn’t ever come around to quite the form the old 90 gallon did. But…that’s the difference between a 2 year old tank and a 10 year old tank for you. It’ll get there again. Just need to be patient. Truth be told. I don’t like having a larger tank. I wish I’d have downsized instead. Big tank = big work/big mess.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back