Deltec 1000ix issue using airline ran from outside. ISSUES

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title states I'm running an airline from outside to my Deltec 1000ix skimmer. The airline is oversized to overcome any restriction and the run of airline is less than three feet. The issues I'm having is constant overflowing and fluctuating water levels in the skimmer body.

I've found that the venturi keeps clogging up. I've tried varying water levels, different airline hose configurations, and clocking the venturi at any and all degrees.

Now if I run the skimmer as it was intended it runs just fine. Is it seriously designed with no headroom for airline restrictions?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it seriously designed with no headroom for airline restrictions?

Could be.
My BK runs fine, like that.

I'd call Adam at Battle Corals and ask for his help.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tubing ran? Distance? Size?

Bout 4 foot long, drilled hole straight behind the reef and the OD diameter is 1/2", with the only one right angle as seen in the below shots.

IMG_20200301_205222.jpg

IMG_20200301_205550.jpg

IMG_20200301_205452.jpg

Tapped it right into the air silencer

OP
OP
Scorpius

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ain't that a kick in the reef nards. The venturi on this Deltec skimmer is the smallest diameter I'm seen on any skimmer I've had so far and coupled with changing the tubing from OEM I believe I've confirmed my issue. This hobby isn't cheap. I like those Royal Exclusives, but $900ish dollars is a lot of money.

Any way you can sway me into purchasing one? I'm already somewhat familiar with the legendary pumps.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ain't that a kick in the reef nards. The venturi on this Deltec skimmer is the smallest diameter I'm seen on any skimmer I've had so far and coupled with changing the tubing from OEM I believe I've confirmed my issue. This hobby isn't cheap. I like those Royal Exclusives, but $900ish dollars is a lot of money.

Any way you can sway me into purchasing one? I'm already somewhat familiar with the legendary pumps.

Well it's the BK Mini 160, when the Gen III first came out. Running on a 2013 Red Sea Max S-400.
Bought it from Premium Aquatics in 2014.

They're pretty much set and forget and break in within a matter of hours.

Beside the high price tag, it's just like what you here about them.
I'd buy another if it bit the dust today, but I'd sure want you to be happy.

Don't know that much about the new DC versions, but I'd still stay with the AC

Send @slief a PM.
He's over Royal Exclusiv USA support

His name is Scott and knows his stuff, not to mention that he's a great guy that truly tries his best to help others.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols setup is ideal because he’s using an oversized 1/2” line between the skimmer and outside air source. That reduces the air intake restriction. That said, the salt buildup in the venturi port can occur with any skimmer regardless of the air source or restriction. Some skimmers don’t have as much of an issue with that compared to others and the skimmer the skimmer, the greater the impact from salt creep. Also, the smaller the venturi port the the faster it will plug up.

@Scorpius I replied to your PM.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that the best way to clean a venturi is with the proper sized drill bit twisted between the fingers.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 600i and am running an airline to draw fresh air. There is a 3/4" PVC pipe in the wall going up into the attic and ~2' of 1/4" hose going from the air silencer to that pipe. No issue with fluctuating water levels or clogging venturis. I also put a T in the hose to draw odors from the cup.
3CEE4A6E-1C8D-4F82-871B-DD04009D9B44.jpeg

Have you taken the base of the skimmer apart to verify no clogs or buildups in there that might affect water level?

OP
OP
Scorpius

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 600i and am running an airline to draw fresh air. There is a 3/4" PVC pipe in the wall going up into the attic and ~2' of 1/4" hose going from the air silencer to that pipe. No issue with fluctuating water levels or clogging venturis. I also put a T in the hose to draw odors from the cup.
3CEE4A6E-1C8D-4F82-871B-DD04009D9B44.jpeg

Have you taken the base of the skimmer apart to verify no clogs or buildups in there that might affect water level?
I just took it apart. Other than a biofilm buildup there's no restrictions for the water to exit. Your airline setup has more air restriction than mine does. I'm at a loss. Could it be the cold winter air?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have your hoses ran? I have the factory hose from the venturi to the silencer bottom, then connected the additional line to the silencer top.

Water depth is 8.5" with the pump speed at 5. Water inside the skimmer is adjusted to right below where the cup attaches to the body. Skims all the time, doesn't matter if I feed, put my hands in the tank, no surging.

@Battlecorals might have advice.

I don't think air temperature would factor into it.

OP
OP
Scorpius

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran my airline several different ways. Its currently the way you have yours. I have the a/c pump version. I have my water level set at the minimum level marker on the output emergency overflow tube.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took it apart. Other than a biofilm buildup there's no restrictions for the water to exit. Your airline setup has more air restriction than mine does. I'm at a loss. Could it be the cold winter air?
He’s got a 3/4” line in the wall so his only impedance to air intake is the short line between the skimmer and the wall which looks to be less that 2’. Not sure how long your line is to the outside air source but I’d still upsize it.

The cold air will have a minor impact due to the air density and with ambient temperature changes to the incoming air, that can impact the skimmer since the air density changes. I’d still run larger diameter pipe or tubing between the outside air and the skimmer and reduce it down right at the skimmer. Half inch pipe or tubing for example is measured based on inside diameter, not outside diameter. Having done many aquarium installations and helped more skimmer customers than I can count, I always recommend running larger diameter tubing than the skimmers intake when extending the skimmer line.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air temp shouldn’t affect anything, but dryness can. I used to run an oversized airline outside on my mazzei-based skimmer. Venturi would clog with salt creep in the Summer, but MUCH faster in the winter which I attributed to dry air. Now I just use the lifereef mod and pull air for the Venturi from the skimmate container where it is nice and humid. Fresh air line never helped low ph much on my system so nothing lost.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back