Deltec sc1455 on smaller tank

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

I currently run a Deltec sc1350 on a 70 gallon system with 20 gallon sump .
Currently 10 fishes and might increase a little bit more . Mostly wrasses and anthias and butterfly fed 3-4 times a day .
Tank is 90% acroporas .

Although the 1350 does an amazing job , am feeling like am pushing its limits and hence wondering if a switch to a sc1455 is logical .

Now I do want to stay with Deltec because of my amazing experience with the skimmer , but wonder if 1455 will be too powerful and inconsistent skimming on the smaller tank .

Deltec users - chime in with your experience ..

Regards,
Abhishek

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a firm believer in over-skimming (I have a Tunze 9410 on my 50g cube). I say go for it. Maybe someone with specific experience with the Deltec will weigh in.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

Currently 10 fishes and might increase a little bit more . Mostly wrasses and anthias and butterfly fed 3-4 times a day .
Tank is 90% acroporas .

Although the 1350 does an amazing job , am feeling like am pushing its limits and hence wondering if a switch to a sc1455 is logical .

Now I do want to stay with Deltec because of my amazing experience with the skimmer , but wonder if 1455 will be too powerful and inconsistent skimming on the smaller tank .

Regards,
Abhishek

Can I ask what leads you to believe you are pushing it's limits? Are you basing it on just numbers/feedings/gallons? Or, are you basing it on performance of the skimmer/amount of skimmate you're getting? Just curious.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

Tank is 90% acroporas .

Regards,
Abhishek

Is there something it isn't doing? What makes you believe a larger skimmer would be better (e.g. is there a condition now that you think would benefit from a larger skimmer)? I empty the cup on a 1351 every two to three days on a 74g system with 11 fish that is SPS dominant (14 acros but they're just babies). Nitrates fell to zero a little over a month ago so I started dosing. On the flip side, phosphates started to rise but seem to be settling with the nitrate dosing.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have over 30-35 frags and all acros . Fishes are mostly Randall's and Lori anthias , butterfly and blue star leopards which need to be fed atleast 3-4 times a day .
2 cubes of mysis , 2 cubes of brine shrimp , LES reef Frenzy and Fertility blend , phyto around 30 ml and oyester feast .
Well I know I feed a lot but I like my fishes plum and healthy for someday I wanna breed them .
Nitrates and phosphates are rising and anyways I have plans to go bigger very soon .
Hence , the question !!!

Regards,
Abhishek

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have over 30-35 frags and all acros . Fishes are mostly Randall's and Lori anthias , butterfly and blue star leopards which need to be fed atleast 3-4 times a day .
2 cubes of mysis , 2 cubes of brine shrimp , LES reef Frenzy and Fertility blend , phyto around 30 ml and oyester feast .
Well I know I feed a lot but I like my fishes plum and healthy for someday I wanna breed them .
Nitrates and phosphates are rising and anyways I have plans to go bigger very soon .
Hence , the question !!!

Regards,
Abhishek

All the skimmer in the world isn't going to solve a nitrate/phosphate issue.

Back