OP
OP
DenverSaltyFarm

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: The tank is now being driven by 3 400w Radium 20k bulbs. I am getting even better coverage and colors with the extra punch. The tank has been doing great! I think the best decision I have made is switching to Metal Halide lighting. It caused all my SPS to wake up and start encrusting the frag plugs very fast. Also all the coral put out better color when I have blues on at night to enjoy. "Cook in the day, Enjoy at night" :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I also notice significant growth in coralline algae with the halides.

I have added a lot of new frags and have found a love for collecting Spliced frags. currently have the rainbow splice, fruity splice, college fund, splice nerds, gws og splice and more to come. I also picked up 2 non-photosynthetic sea whips from reef stock and they have been liking my nightly feedings.

I also feel like the bacteria driven reef concept is golden and a great improvement to the overall health of my tank. I pre mix a concoction of things in 500ml of salt water along with bacteria in a stir plate for 8 hours then refrigerate and dose that every night.

Happy Reefing-

image0 (9).jpeg

image1 (4).jpeg

OP
OP
DenverSaltyFarm

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the tank has been doing amazing with everything except for Aiptasia. There has been an all out explosion of it in my tank and a while back I did add 25 nudis to take care of the problem but haven't seen a dent and not seeing any egg spirals like I have seen in my past tanks. Usually at night you can use a flash light to see them and I have only found 3 that have made it to full growth. I have also been using F Aiptasia on any aiptasia that get to close to frags until the nudis catch up but I know that would be at least 6 months out and I feel like I don't have 6 months to wait.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. At this point I'm happy risking my LPS and get a fish that is a king at destroying aiptasia so I ended up purchasing an Australian Stripy. it will arrive on the 10th and I'll keep you all up to date how well it does at aiptasia and if it nips at corals. If this was a SPS only tank then this is hands down the best fish to have in one of those tanks, mixed tanks there is a high caution. I have had a file fish in the past and In my experience 1 out of 4 would actually eat aiptasia. I also have some aggressive tangs when feeding which would not do well with a copperband. I also tried peppermint shrimp before I bought nudis and they instantly went after my torches so back to the store they went.

stripey fish.jpg

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ nice I remember the days of MH lighting. I once had a 240 with MH and VHO back in the day.
tank is looking great from here.
I had a cray Aiptasia out break on my 650P LPS tank with in 4-6 weeks went from 1 to hundreds. sucked big time.

let me ask you a question. finally got my IM 200P wet, it's my 1st bean drain.
do i need to add the street elbow to the stand pipes?
drill a hole in the top of 2nd "durso" pipe
I only plumbed in one gate valve on the main drain that still should be fine yes?

OP
OP
DenverSaltyFarm

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ nice I remember the days of MH lighting. I once had a 240 with MH and VHO back in the day.
tank is looking great from here.
I had a cray Aiptasia out break on my 650P LPS tank with in 4-6 weeks went from 1 to hundreds. sucked big time.

let me ask you a question. finally got my IM 200P wet, it's my 1st bean drain.
do i need to add the street elbow to the stand pipes?
drill a hole in the top of 2nd "durso" pipe
I only plumbed in one gate valve on the main drain that still should be fine yes?
Cheers thank you! Haha I did my drain a bit different due to the single intake into my roller mat filter. I have a primary drain that is barely sitting under water, then an emergency drain (always should be dry), and the third drain is plumbed to my house sewer pipe for water changes I just open a valve and empty the overflow chamber which measures about 10 gallons of water.

the roller filter wont allow a massive about of flow so just utilizing that single drain works great!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back