Depressed Dartfish

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd post this and see if anyone has experienced this before. I was told that studies have been shown that fish can be 'depressed' so *shrug*

I picked up a trio of Zebra Dartfish probably 8 months ago. They've all been doing well, and hang out in the same cave together and only really come out for feedings.

About two months ago, after a tank move, I noticed of the Dartfish was extremely emaciated, and not eating and of the food offered. He'd come out at feeding time, but just ignore the food.

Today, I found his half-eaten corpse in my pistol shrimp cage. Last time I saw him alive was probably 3 days ago, which ironically was about the same time any of the Dartfish came out of their cave for meals / at all.

I can see them both laying in the bottom of the cave, but they just aren't responding to feedings, light, etc.

Could they be depressed from their buddy dying? Is there something I should be doing or trying to help them through these trying times?
Anyone else ever experience this?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair that were out all the time swimming around. Then one jumped out of the tank and the remaining one stayed hidden all the time. I could see him in his hole but rarely came out except for a morsel of food once in a while. Then I discovered on a web cam that one of my azure damsels was messing with him any time he came out. Never did it when I was in front of the tank. I removed the azure damsel and now he’s back out all the time.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is indeed emerging research of fish “intelligence”. There was one study describing algae eating fish- one eating-one standing watch. Reversing their roles later to no further benefit of the one staying watch now. Planning! I strongly believe my fish can distinguish me from other humans and seek my attention independent of feeding. A perception of loss seems likely in pairs. However in this situation I am concerned about somatic disease. Any indication? Water parameters? No introduced toxin by move?

OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is indeed emerging research of fish “intelligence”. There was one study describing algae eating fish- one eating-one standing watch. Reversing their roles later to no further benefit of the one staying watch now. Planning! I strongly believe my fish can distinguish me from other humans and seek my attention independent of feeding. A perception of loss seems likely in pairs. However in this situation I am concerned about somatic disease. Any indication? Water parameters? No introduced toxin by move?

I haven't noticed any signs of illness in the tank from any other of the tank members. I did have my second firefish disappear, assumed dead (the first disappeared probably 4 months ago). But aside from the one emaciated Dartfish everyone else seems healthy. I have a longhorn cowfish who's behavior hasn't changed at all since the move and I know they can be more sensitive at times.

Haven't tested parameters in a while, so not sure there. My black widow BTA did shrivel down and seemed like it was dying probably a month ago? I removed it from the tank. And my regular BTA's have split 2-3 times since the tank move (they have also almost doubled in size).

Tank move was 2 months ago roughly. Just swapped from a 120 to a 150. The new tank was very well cleaned (vinegar) after sitting dry for 2-3 months and rinsed afterwards well. No new livestock, or rock.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I am concerned that whatever killed the fish is also bothering the other fish (whether that is disease, bullying, or whatever). Do you have any suspicions on what killed it?

OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I am concerned that whatever killed the fish is also bothering the other fish (whether that is disease, bullying, or whatever). Do you have any suspicions on what killed it?
No one in the tank really bullies the Dartfish. They only leave their cave at feedings, and I've never observed anyone going near them. Only bullies in the tank are a clown, and hawkfish, both of which won't bully anyone bigger than them.
For disease, I truly have no idea. I've fully QT'd everything in the tank, and no one has shown any sign of visible illness ever.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mated pair of scissor tail dartfish, my purple firefish also hung with them in their hideout. But when I rehomed the pair because they got too big for my tank, the fire fish wouldn’t come out For weeks I was afraid she had died. Then the LFS got some baby scissor tails in, brought it home and the fire fish came out the next morning! So who knows.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 165 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 31 9.3%
Back