Depressed female Percula Clown!

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought a pair of tiny captive bred clowns years ago and let nature take its course. Long story short they bred many times (never reared eggs) and one day my male was just laying on his side no signs of disease I wonder if just exhausted from constant breeding or whatever and now I have a lonely female who eats, but is there any way to ensure I buy a male clownfish? Or will she possibly kill him right away even if I do introduce any single male if I'm lucky to find one? I have a mixed reef 81 gallon cube other fish include a royal gramma basslet, captive bred yellow tang, captive bred coral beauty, goby and pistol shrimp currently. I've also thought about buying a group of clowns as well (perhaps 5) to change look of tank, but unsure if this is a good idea either as current dynamic is about as perfect as one could hope for in a tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a smaller clownfish there's a better than even chance it will be a male (and remain as such). Whether or not they'll get along... Try to get another percula, though. I know of a handful of people who've kept large colonies of clownfish together in <100 gallon tanks (I'm not one of them). So while it can be done, sometimes the dominant female will kill the others off.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clowns are born male. Just buy a small clown, and hope the large female doesn't "love" it to death.

It's tough with large dominant females that lost their mate. I have one, and she has killed every male I have offered her. She just sits in her elegance and is grumpy. LOL

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of true percula's I bought close to 10 years ago, they layed eggs almost monthly and the male died a several years ago. Funny thing is I bought a pair of black snowflakes and one hooked up with the orange and occasionally let the other join the party. The blacks mysteriously died after a couple years and big mama was all alone again. I recently mistakenly bought a fish I thought was a true percula online. Turns out it was a true percula platinum and pretty small. I feared he was a goner, but he hooked right up with big mama and a few months later they starting spawning.

Back