Derasa constantly falling over

Adam_Wallace

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2024
Messages
19
Reaction score
14
Location
swansea
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
Every morning I come down to my Derasa clam on its side.
If I place him up right he will stay there all day until the next morning and once again he is on his side.
I’ve tried different spots in the tank and tried to make a clam holder but never successful
I’ve even tried larger gravel

Any ideas would help

The first pic is the most recent picture

IMG_3452.jpeg IMG_3028.jpeg IMG_3032.jpeg
 
Hello all
Every morning I come down to my Derasa clam on its side.
If I place him up right he will stay there all day until the next morning and once again he is on his side.
I’ve tried different spots in the tank and tried to make a clam holder but never successful
I’ve even tried larger gravel

Any ideas would help

The first pic is the most recent picture

IMG_3452.jpeg IMG_3028.jpeg IMG_3032.jpeg
Nice clam! Sounds like he’s trying to find a spot he likes. Derasas like to bury their foot in the sand and attach it to a rock underneath. That’s what mine wanted to do anyways. I would let it move around on its own until it finds a spot he likes, but you could try placing the clam holder underneath the sand to see if he’ll attach to it. Mine did most of his movement at night.
 
Just place directly on the sand and get rid of the cradle. Derasa don't stay attached for very long and rely on their weight to keep them in place (and upright). Make sure you have plenty of quality light that hits the sand and you should be fine. And my usual advice, pick up James Fatherree's book on clams if you haven't done so already?
 
I don't think Derasas attach after a certain size. They will do just fine on sand.
 
My bigger one did the same thing. I buried some smaller/flattish rocks under the sand and placed the clam over that spot. They attached to the rocks and feel more secure and stay in place now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new