Derasa max size...

  • Thread starter Thread starter theatrus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2016
Messages
2,255
Reaction score
3,603
Location
Sacramento, CA area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve had my derasa for over 12 years.

reeflog-2019-01-09-1.jpg


Most online reports say 12”, some say 24”. Im at about 14”... when does it stop?

Time for that 180 upgrade? [emoji51]
 
I have seen some large ones in zoos and I had one that was measured shell of 12" after a few years so they sure get bigger than 12"!

There are a couple published results finding wild specimens right around 24". However there is a good chance those were very old and had the genes to get larger than average. One study of 300 clams there were only 10 that were longer than around 19".
 
very nice. I just picked up a derasa yesterday, approximately 4". Any tip or pointer.
 
So, I’ve had my derasa for over 12 years.

reeflog-2019-01-09-1.jpg


Most online reports say 12”, some say 24”. Im at about 14”... when does it stop?

Time for that 180 upgrade? [emoji51]
Ha! That’s why I upgraded to my 180.
 
I would expect every bit of 20 inches for a shell. With mantle extension, you can easily touch front-to-back in a 24" deep tank like a 180g.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new