Derpy's IM Nuvo Fusion 40L Pro Build Thread

derpysmurp89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, using this thread to document a new IM 40L build. New here on reef2reef. I’ve been out of a hobby for about 10 years and recently purchased a used native marine 40L pro. This tank has been cycling for about three days (7/14/2023). Planning on softies & LPS. I love zoanthids. Live stock will most likely included, bullethole clown & royal gramma to start. First intake chamber on the left will be for chaeto.

Equipment:
Tank:
Innovative Marine Fusion Pro AIO 40L
Stand: Innovative Marine APS White
Return: Stock MightyJet 22W/24V 538 GPH DC Return Pump with Controller
Lights: 2x AI Prime HD 16’s White
Cycle: Fritz Turbo Start 900
Testing: API
Skimmer: To Be Determined
Power Heads: Ecotech MP40's x2 (I know overkill, but found a good deal on both)
Heater: Aquatop 100W Titanium Heater
Filtration: InTank Custom Caddy's x2
ATO: Tunze 5017
UV: To Be Determined
Rock: CaribSea Life Rock
Sand: 20lb CaribSea 'Reef Grade' Sand
Controller: Apex EL w/ PH & Temp Probes. Custom breakout box.
RODI: BRS 6-Stage w/ Booster Pump

Livestock:
1x Kupang Damsel

Corals:
N/A

IMG_7892.jpeg IMG_7894.jpeg IMG_7893.jpeg

Last edited:

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stand is super slick, wow. Making me wish I had gotten that one.

The minimal scape is great too. Really excited to see what you do with it!

Like JoJo mentioned there is a small crew of 40L people floating around. Welcome!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM 50 AIO > IM 40L AIO
IM SR60 AIO>than both y’all.
‘But as was said IM makes great tanks. I was lucky to get mine before they tied you down to purchasing a stand with it. My second tank was a IM 30l, this was one’s kid sibling. it’s a nice start. My 60 is a mixed reef heavy on lps with few softies and sps(mainly Montis).
‘What lps, if I may ask?

OP
OP
derpysmurp89

derpysmurp89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I rearranged the control board. Cut it in half and dropped the shelf to give taller shelf space. Both lights have been mounted. Also setup a like new 6-stage BRS RODI I found on marketplace place for $150 with a booster pump. Awaiting hose mounts for a tidier appearance. Thrilled I do not have to lug water back and forth from LFS.

Gravity mixing station up next. Water change today and if parameters are still stable next weekend, I will go fish shopping.

IMG_8022.jpeg IMG_8024.jpeg IMG_8025.jpeg

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I rearranged the control board. Cut it in half and dropped the shelf to give taller shelf space. Both lights have been mounted. Also setup a like new 6-stage BRS RODI I found on marketplace place for $150 with a booster pump. Awaiting hose mounts for a tidier appearance. Thrilled I do not have to lug water back and forth from LFS.

Gravity mixing station up next. Water change today and if parameters are still stable next weekend, I will go fish shopping.

IMG_8022.jpeg IMG_8024.jpeg
Looking good! Get some fish in there! What are the first additions gonna be?

Are you planning on qt or gonna hope for the best? Both are viable and popular options, but anecdotally I did not qt and I regret it

OP
OP
derpysmurp89

derpysmurp89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to move over my 2 clowns and few frags from my 10g waterbox in order to convert the 10g into a QT. I also sold my 2 Mp40’s and have 2 Nero 3’s on order. I am now experiencing a pretty severe ugly phase (possibly bubble algae?). Regretting selling the MP40s before my Nero 3’s have arrived as I see the result of reduced flow in the tank. Parameters were all within range. Am: 0, Nitrite:0, Nitrates: 15.

I also added the new IceCap AIO 240 Skimmer. Breaking it in for 2 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_8090.jpeg
    IMG_8090.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8091.jpeg
    IMG_8091.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8093.jpeg
    IMG_8093.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_8092.jpeg
    IMG_8092.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 118

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to move over my 2 clowns and few frags from my 10g waterbox in order to convert the 10g into a QT. I also sold my 2 Mp40’s and have 2 Nero 3’s on order. I am now experiencing a pretty severe ugly phase (possibly bubble algae?). Regretting selling the MP40s before my Nero 3’s have arrived as I see the result of reduced flow in the tank. Parameters were all within range. Am: 0, Nitrite:0, Nitrates: 15.

Looking good. That ugly phase'll blow over in no time. Doesn't really look like bubble algae to me, so hopefully no issue there.

How long has the damsel been in?!

OP
OP
derpysmurp89

derpysmurp89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. That ugly phase'll blow over in no time. Doesn't really look like bubble algae to me, so hopefully no issue there.

How long has the damsel been in?!
Thinking it might be Dino’s. The damsel has been in since day one. What’s crazy is he has been eating the brown algae & bubbles? Lol.

King Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regular ugly phase

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
def dinos id try running the im uv until you stop that from reappearing

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos. You'd need a microscope to get a positive ID. Could be a mix of diatoms and dinos given tank age, but looks like the dinos are dominant. I'd run UV as a precaution if you have it and get a positive ID on it. For amphidinium dinos, UV is useless, but for ostreopsis and prorocentrum you should see noticeable results within days. #1 trick for dinos that I've experienced and see from others is introducing some sort of microbiome diversity to out-compete the dinos, whether that's reef mud, reef sand, ocean rocks, rocks/sand from an established system, etc. Dosing silicates to increase the diatom population is also popular. Once the diatoms clear the dinos and then the diatoms get cleared, there's still the "space left behind", which is real estate for the same dinos to come back or another species of dinos. Aquabiomics has some of their "cleaner" real reef products in stock again: https://aquabiomics.com/product-category/biological-supplements

smootie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Icecap skimmer? I'm trying to decide what to get for my own IM 40L AIO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back