OP
OP
derpysmurp89

derpysmurp89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos. You'd need a microscope to get a positive ID. Could be a mix of diatoms and dinos given tank age, but looks like the dinos are dominant. I'd run UV as a precaution if you have it and get a positive ID on it. For amphidinium dinos, UV is useless, but for ostreopsis and prorocentrum you should see noticeable results within days. #1 trick for dinos that I've experienced and see from others is introducing some sort of microbiome diversity to out-compete the dinos, whether that's reef mud, reef sand, ocean rocks, rocks/sand from an established system, etc. Dosing silicates to increase the diatom population is also popular. Once the diatoms clear the dinos and then the diatoms get cleared, there's still the "space left behind", which is real estate for the same dinos to come back or another species of dinos. Aquabiomics has some of their "cleaner" real reef products in stock again: https://aquabiomics.com/product-category/biological-supplements
Whatever it was, it cleared up in any 2 day’s and tank has been great ever since. Damsel was evicted and I introduced a Royal Gramma & a Picasso Clown my neighbor gave me. I did order a UV sterilizer just in case for the future. Next up is to setup Eheim Autofeeder.

IMG_8197.jpeg IMG_8163.jpeg IMG_8162.jpeg IMG_8152.jpeg

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank coming along? Any final thoughts on the Icecap skimmer?

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this? I just picked up a IM 40L as well, would love to see your progress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back