Design questions for a 75 gallon system

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Aqueon 75 gallon tank with an Aqueon 40 breeder to be used as a sump. I kept a reef system for about 15 years, but that's been a while now. I'm wanting to set this system up as a precursor for a big tank. Mostly to make certain my brain is still working and I'm not missing things.

My current plans (in no particular order):
  • Either FOWLR and possibly some zoa's or a clam
  • Continuous culture of phyto + pods
  • Electronic monitoring of pH and other parameters and dosing
  • Automatic top off for tank
  • Hydroponic lighting fixtures (no need for heavy blue without corals - although clam would change that)
  • Sandbed - Haven't decided on depth or grain size yet
  • No skimmer - detritus will be removed via algae harvest and CUC
  • The most peaceful fish I can find. I want some inverts to survive.
  • Fish I would like to have: pair of mandarin dragonets, coral beauty angel, firefish, gobie (or two), maybe one of the safer wrasses
  • Inverts I would like to have: blue brittle star, nassarius snails, maybe some burrowing wrasses
Things I haven't decided on yet:
  • Overflow - do I drill the tank
  • Number of overflows needed
  • Flow rate
  • Layout of sump
In the past I've pretty much just winged it and used what I had, or what I could find used (and cheap). I've run systems both with and without skimmers and could honestly tell little difference - provided appropriate nutrient export is done (either water changes or algae). I'd like to do this one in a more analytical way, to start planning for the big tank I will be getting eventually (400-500 gallons).

In the past I've used inverted U-shaped overflows and always have issues with air getting trapped and breaking siphon. I really like the idea of the coast to coast overflow, but not sure it's feasible in this tank as I'm not yet sure it can be drilled, or if I can do it successfully (would be my first time drilling a tank).

Eventually, when the tank has been established for a while, I'm going to try breeding the mandarin dragonets and keeping the fry alive.

So, any advice or suggestions on how to approach this more analytically? I've looked around and found a lot of suggestions, but nothing I felt was concrete enough for what I'd like to do.

Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Aqueon 75 gallon tank with an Aqueon 40 breeder to be used as a sump. I kept a reef system for about 15 years, but that's been a while now. I'm wanting to set this system up as a precursor for a big tank. Mostly to make certain my brain is still working and I'm not missing things.

My current plans (in no particular order):
  • Either FOWLR and possibly some zoa's or a clam
  • Continuous culture of phyto + pods
  • Electronic monitoring of pH and other parameters and dosing
  • Automatic top off for tank
  • Hydroponic lighting fixtures (no need for heavy blue without corals - although clam would change that)
  • Sandbed - Haven't decided on depth or grain size yet
  • No skimmer - detritus will be removed via algae harvest and CUC
  • The most peaceful fish I can find. I want some inverts to survive.
  • Fish I would like to have: pair of mandarin dragonets, coral beauty angel, firefish, gobie (or two), maybe one of the safer wrasses
  • Inverts I would like to have: blue brittle star, nassarius snails, maybe some burrowing wrasses
Things I haven't decided on yet:
  • Overflow - do I drill the tank
  • Number of overflows needed
  • Flow rate
  • Layout of sump
In the past I've pretty much just winged it and used what I had, or what I could find used (and cheap). I've run systems both with and without skimmers and could honestly tell little difference - provided appropriate nutrient export is done (either water changes or algae). I'd like to do this one in a more analytical way, to start planning for the big tank I will be getting eventually (400-500 gallons).

In the past I've used inverted U-shaped overflows and always have issues with air getting trapped and breaking siphon. I really like the idea of the coast to coast overflow, but not sure it's feasible in this tank as I'm not yet sure it can be drilled, or if I can do it successfully (would be my first time drilling a tank).

Eventually, when the tank has been established for a while, I'm going to try breeding the mandarin dragonets and keeping the fry alive.

So, any advice or suggestions on how to approach this more analytically? I've looked around and found a lot of suggestions, but nothing I felt was concrete enough for what I'd like to do.

Thanks!
If you go for a clam I wouldn’t risk a CBA, they can tend to nip at the mantles and I would stick with a wrasse from either the Paracheilinus or a more peaceful Cirrhilabrus (Stay away from C. scottorum, they can be aggressive when it comes to food), the genuses I recommend staying away from are:

Chorus (Most of them get quite big)
Anampses/tamarin wrasse (They can and probably will outcompete the mandarins for pods)
Macropharyngodon/Leopard wrasse (Same reason as the anampses)
Halichoeres (Some get rather large and active, they also have a chance of outcompeting the mandarins for pods along with a chance of clam mantle dinner)
Pseudocheilinus/The lined wrasse (They get aggressive even for just the small size some of them stay at)

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back