Deskmate Reef - 1 Year Anniversary

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the boat on the 'build' thread for my Deskmate, but better late than never I suppose. I bought this little guy from BRS about a little more than a year ago after taking a break from the hobby for a number of years. I experimented with a few different setups, but ultimately settled on ceramic bis-spheres in a custom acrylic holder and no filter socks. Hope you all enjoy the pics as much as I enjoy all of yours.

Return Pump: Sicce Micra
Filtration: ceramic bio-sphere
Heater: Innovative Marine Helio Mini
Circulation Pump: Amazon cheapy
ATO: Amazon
Light: AI Sol
Dosing: Reef Energy 3x / Week
Fish: None
CUC: Astrea, Nassarius & Hermits

IMG_7951 Large.jpeg IMG_7952 Large.jpeg IMG_7953 Large.jpeg IMG_7954 Large.jpeg IMG_7955 Large.jpeg IMG_7956 Large.jpeg IMG_7957 Large.jpeg IMG_6158 Large.jpeg IMG_7950 Large.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some fragging of my TSA Utter Chaos colony. Next is the candy cane, I just noticed the backside of my duncan looks like he is getting stung at night.

Attachments

• IMG_7974 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7974 Large.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7973 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7973 Large.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7972 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7972 Large.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7971 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7971 Large.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 39

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool - does ESHOPPS make that basket or was it an aftermarket buy? Looks like it matches the tank perfectly!!

Love the build - you really show that you can fit quite a bit into a small package.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the boat on the 'build' thread for my Deskmate, but better late than never I suppose. I bought this little guy from BRS about a little more than a year ago after taking a break from the hobby for a number of years. I experimented with a few different setups, but ultimately settled on ceramic bis-spheres in a custom acrylic holder and no filter socks. Hope you all enjoy the pics as much as I enjoy all of yours.

Return Pump: Sicce Micra
Filtration: ceramic bio-sphere
Heater: Innovative Marine Helio Mini
Circulation Pump: Amazon cheapy
ATO: Amazon
Light: AI Sol
Dosing: Reef Energy 3x / Week
Fish: None
CUC: Astrea, Nassarius & Hermits

IMG_7951 Large.jpeg IMG_7952 Large.jpeg IMG_7953 Large.jpeg IMG_7954 Large.jpeg IMG_7955 Large.jpeg IMG_7956 Large.jpeg IMG_7957 Large.jpeg IMG_6158 Large.jpeg IMG_7950 Large.jpeg
Nice looking coral!

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upon further inspection of my candy cane, this tissue underneath is running all the way down the skeletal structure making it very difficult to dremel off a few heads without cutting tissue. All of my other torches have had room to frag without touching tissue. Recommendations?

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool - does ESHOPPS make that basket or was it an aftermarket buy? Looks like it matches the tank perfectly!!

Love the build - you really show that you can fit quite a bit into a small package.
Thank you for the compliments. It's a custom rack that I designed and cut with our laser.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this thread now! Great job on the tank, and well done with the custom basket you made over there! Came out really nice, and definitely a nicer way to hold those ceramic balls than the little zipper pouch i've got mine in!

Looking forward to seeing what the next year brings. Any plans on putting any fish in there.

What exactly are you using for your ATO?

Do you manually does Reef Energy? I'm thinking of getting an Jaebo dosing pump and using one head for ATO needs, and the other for "All For Reef"

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this thread now! Great job on the tank, and well done with the custom basket you made over there! Came out really nice, and definitely a nicer way to hold those ceramic balls than the little zipper pouch i've got mine in!

Looking forward to seeing what the next year brings. Any plans on putting any fish in there.

What exactly are you using for your ATO?

Do you manually does Reef Energy? I'm thinking of getting an Jaebo dosing pump and using one head for ATO needs, and the other for "All For Reef"
Thanks!! The bag for the bio balls was just NOT cutting it. Didn't really hold them in place. Basket can hold them stacked nicely in groups of 4 per row with enough room for my heater.

No fish plans honestly. Although I would consider a goby/pistol pair maybe. I had a Yasha along time ago that I loved, but those things are $120+ these days. I have better luck with coral!!

My ATO is a MagTool Optical Sensor kit I bought off of amazon. I have a 1/2 gallon jug that is hidden behind the tank and the pump sits in there.

I manually dose the Reef Energy about 2ml every other day and feed reef roids once a week. I was dosing every day and feeding 4 times a week, but the tank didn't seem to like that much. My monti lots its green tips, so I cut back.

I was thinking about using a dosing pump for Reef Energy, but the one week shelf-life was a downer.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! The bag for the bio balls was just NOT cutting it. Didn't really hold them in place. Basket can hold them stacked nicely in groups of 4 per row with enough room for my heater.

No fish plans honestly. Although I would consider a goby/pistol pair maybe. I had a Yasha along time ago that I loved, but those things are $120+ these days. I have better luck with coral!!

My ATO is a MagTool Optical Sensor kit I bought off of amazon. I have a 1/2 gallon jug that is hidden behind the tank and the pump sits in there.

I manually dose the Reef Energy about 2ml every other day and feed reef roids once a week. I was dosing every day and feeding 4 times a week, but the tank didn't seem to like that much. My monti lots its green tips, so I cut back.

I was thinking about using a dosing pump for Reef Energy, but the one week shelf-life was a downer.
Clearly what you're doing is working! Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing your custom lid!

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly what you're doing is working! Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing your custom lid!
Appreciate it! The back lid is pretty good, my 3D printed support is helping prevent the flex, but I think it will be better if i can get the support to rest on the tank divider. We'll see.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put some supports like that media basket you made that can lock into the lid and prevent it from flexing. Would be really cool to see it done in the UV color!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back