Desktop RO unit question

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello everyone, I am new to Saltwater Aquariums. I have had a 60-gallon Freshwater tank for almost 10 years. I recently got a 240-gallon tank which with the assistance of lfs I ended up converting to a saltwater tank with the end goal of making it a reef tank. I understand I can't put tap water in this tank even though I have a 3-stage whole-house water filtration system installed in my home and must use RO/DI. The issue is that I have no idea where I can put a RO/DI unit in my home because I have granite countertops in the kitchen and the only other sink I have is the laundry sink. I came across this RO 4-stage water filter countertop water filtration system on Amazon for $300. I don't mind the price as long as I can use it to top off the aquarium because it appears as though I am losing about 1-2 gallons per day through evaporation and it's summer. I can only imagine how bad it would get during the winter when the heat is on. It's made by a company called Bluevua and some of the reviews stated it's safe for aquariums. Please any advice would be much appreciated.

Under the sink
On the wall in the laundry area
Basement running a tube up to tank
Make it portable- Store in closet and connect to faucet via adapter when needed to use unit

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question I know, but is there a valve somewhere that you have in the off position? If you can see all cylinders filling with water it means that the RO unit should be shooting out both brine (typically a black line) and filtered water (usually blue or white). Is there a lever turned off in the water passthrough or the end of the filtered lines?

OP
OP
R

r33fnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I tested the flow bypass and quarter-turned it which did nothing but increase the water in the bypass line.

OP
OP
R

r33fnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I contacted BRS this morning and it turns out the issue was on their end. They assembled it incorrectly. The auto-shut-off valve (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/Installing-an-auto-shut-off-valve) was installed upside down. the side with screws should be facing up with blue tubes going through and the red tubes should be going in and out from the side without the screws. I can see the water coming out of the blue tube. Thanks for everyone pitching in to help me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back