New RO filter has Alkaline filter added. Is this good for making my own saltwater?

thatpizzaguy5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just installed my new RO filter under my sink. Haven’t used it much yet just topped off my current top off jugs for my tank. I’m setting up a new 90 gallon soon and will be making my own water. I’m just curious if the system I have is ok for the tank, or if I should bypass the alkaline filter. It is a 6 stage filter that runs through an alkalinity filter at the end before going to the tap. Has anyone used one of these? I’m trying to get this new tank going soon, but just want to see what I should do about the water. Thanks!

IMG_8478.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think it isn't necessary (but probably won't hurt anything), but you can test the alk of the water with and without that filter module to confirm if you want it or not. Your salt mix should be able to achieve your desired alk level when making new saltwater.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just "t" off before the alk. No reason to use it or over use it. There was a thread the was brought back to life on this very idea not very long ago like last weekend. I think the overall consensus was its not worth it for our tanks.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That post filter adds minerals back to the ro water to improve taste. You're running a risk by adding said minerals into a reef tank.

Don't think of it as it's raising alkalinity in a way that is conducive to coral growth. Think of it for what it was intended, to improve taste.

Even if you look at it from a cost effective standpoint, those post filters cost way more than sodium carbonate or bicarbonate powder...

OP
OP
T

thatpizzaguy5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just "t" off before the alk. No reason to use it or over use it. There was a thread the was brought back to life on this very idea not very long ago like last weekend. I think the overall consensus was its not worth it for our tanks.
I think I’ll do this. I can have some run to the faucet but run whatever is for the tank out before the alkalinity filter. Thanks!

OP
OP
T

thatpizzaguy5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That post filter adds minerals back to the ro water to improve taste. You're running a risk by adding said minerals into a reef tank.

Don't think of it as it's raising alkalinity in a way that is conducive to coral growth. Think of it for what it was intended, to improve taste.

Even if you look at it from a cost effective standpoint, those post filters cost way more than sodium carbonate or bicarbonate powder...
I agree I am going to change it. I don’t need to spend more when most the water is just meant for the tank. I’m going to bypass this filter and just continue making water the way I have been. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back