HELP , newbie to reefs

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m very new to reefs I got a 5 gallon nano tank for my room with a nice light. * I am sorry to say what I’m about to say*. Setting up the tank I used filtered water from my sink and mixed it with instant ocean and added it to the tank. I saw it said that on the back of the instant ocean package. I added water conditioner to clean the water and it seemed fine. I place live rock in it last night with 4 corals and I woke up this morning to it looking like this. I haven’t tested the water that much but I will get back to you with the readings, though I do not know what to do if they are off. I was misguided in setting up my tank and just want to continue down a right path what should I do. Right now the Xenia looks worse than that, it looks all shriveled up. Thank you sorry so vague

IMG_4890.jpeg IMG_4888.jpeg

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time was this? Are you able to see them now? Coral closes up at night and needs time to wake up in the morning. It’s also recommended that you wait at least a month after setting up the tank before adding coral (or anything else living).

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you set the tank up, then instantly add corals? IF so, definitely WRONG. Did you cycle the tank at ALL? Corals should not go in a tank until it has been established. I would say at least 6 months.

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is them right now, the guy at the store told me I could put them in right away. I trusted that sorry. Let me know if I can do anything it looks like it’s rapidly declining

Attachments

• IMG_4893.jpeg
    IMG_4893.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4892.png
    IMG_4892.png
    574.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4891.png
    IMG_4891.png
    458 KB · Views: 54

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is them right now, the guy at the store told me I could put them in right away. I trusted that sorry. Let me know if I can do anything it looks like it’s rapidly declining
Honestly, the best chance for the animals is to take them back to the store. Then do some research about how to cycle a new tank. After it is cycled, start with just a couple fish, like clown fish. You can get all the help you need right here on this forum, but start with returning what is left. The cycle starts with ammonia, which is toxic to inverts.

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you set the tank up, then instantly add corals? IF so, definitely WRONG. Did you cycle the tank at ALL? Corals should not go in a tank until it has been established. I would say at least 6 months.
Shoot, I made a huge mistake I am sorry I was misinformed. What can I do now is there anything I can buy, chemicals to help rebuild it if it is salvageable . I plan to test the water when I get home. I understand I made a mistake but I just need help improving it

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dont fret too much, mistakes happen and one of the key takeaways should be to slow down. You want stable parameters before you introduce a whole lotta live stock so it's a good thing you haven't completely filled out the tank. Your tank looks brand new and unfortunately that's not live rock, it's 'liferock' which is actually just dry rock painted purple and seeded with dormant beneficial bacteria. Did you cycle your tank prior to adding the coral?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot, I made a huge mistake I am sorry I was misinformed. What can I do now is there anything I can buy, chemicals to help rebuild it if it is salvageable . I plan to test the water when I get home. I understand I made a mistake but I just need help improving it
See if you can take anything still living back to the pet store. Then get some live rock. not life rock, there is a huge difference.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Corals can go into a tank right away as long as the tank was setup properly.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things happen, don't beat yourself up. Local fish stores do not help the situation most times.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use tap water for corals. It can mess up the chemistry. If you have copper pipes, it will kill the corals. I don't know what light that is, can you send a link or the name of it?

RedOtterCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't cycle the tank, there's nothing in a bottle or shelf that you can buy to fix it now.

As Sophie's Mom said, the best thing for the animals you can do is return them to the store. They will most likely perish in all likelihood otherwise

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't cycle the tank, there's nothing in a bottle or shelf that you can buy to fix it now.

As Sophie's Mom said, the best thing for the animals you can do is return them to the store. They will most likely perish in all likelihood otherwise

The corals probably don't care about the nitrogen cycle.

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I did not set it up properly:downcast-face-with-sweat::grinning-face-with-sweat:
We all have made mistakes before. Just break it down, see if you can salvage any coral and give it back to the store, and start fresh. See if the store will sell you either premade saltwater or filtered RODI water, or purchase a RODI filter and mix the salt with the filtered water. Add bottled bacteria, create an ammonia source, and leave the tank lifeless for at least a month.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself quality test kits, an instant ocean hydrometer or a true seawater refactometer, some coral food and bottled cycling bacteria from instant ocean or fritz, and you will be fine. The key with instant tanks like this is that they need some food almost instantly if there are no fish. I personally would see if you can get credit back for the coral and wait til you understand the tank a bit more but if you cant, then do what I mentioned.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any recommendations of what I should do
The single best piece of advice is patience. Nothing in this hobby happens in a hurry. At least not successfully. You need bacteria to start the cycle. Like I said before, research. It is a very expensive hobby, so learn all you can up front, to avoid things like this. Everyone here will help you out along the way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back