OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the same LFS sold you this tank and rock and coral at the same time and said you were good to go, they lied and just want your money. Take no more advice from them and don't expect to be able to return any livestock, they aren't obligated and probably not inclined.

Go purchase a bottle of Bio-Spira or Fritzyme TurboStart and use it as directed.

The coral will likely be a loss and lesson learned. You need to learn how to care for coral before jumping in.

As mentioned, a 5G can be tough because of how quickly things can change in smaller volumes, but if you keep up with a strict routine and stick to easy corals, you can be successful.
I think you are right, I asked for their advice and it seems to be all wrong. Ive learned so much so fast here.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some good reading material to get your base knowledge down. Then come back for any specific questions you may have.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the short term, add that bottled starter bac, get into a water change routine, and make sure you are topping off the tank with freshwater as it evaporates. This will need to be daily at a minimum, but ideally multiple times per day unless the tank has a solid lid.

RedOtterCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals can use ammonia as a nitrogen source. Now whether or not they have an ammonia limit I don't know. However, the live sand should help with ammonia reduction (assuming it was live)
Most live sand straight out of the box or bag probably won't be that effective.

With 0 established biologic filtration, I'd say mortality rates would be astronomical for the vast majority of corals. There's just no stability in that case.

get-salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey there, sorry to hear this about your new setup.. hope you can save whats left and or start fresh. good luck !

on the other hand.. im sure youve heard this over and over but this hobby requires a tons of patience, time , and money lol.

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the big help, such a great community I’m getting into! Last question, I’m replacing the water with the new salt water I’m using with distilled water should I do a 50% change or 100%

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most live sand straight out of the box or bag probably won't be that effective.

With 0 established biologic filtration, I'd say mortality rates would be astronomical for the vast majority of corals. There's just no stability in that case.

Eh that isn't what Taricha's thread shows in regards to live sand.

And why would the corals care about biological filtration? Coral zooxanthellae uses ammonia from the water column. Stability is more about the user than the rocks or sand imo. I agree they shouldn't have done this, but with the right methods its fine to do an instant tank.

RedOtterCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And why would the corals care about biological filtration? Coral zooxanthellae uses ammonia from the water column. Stability is more about the user than the rocks or sand imo. I agree they shouldn't have done this, but with the right methods its fine to do an instant tank.
I mean by that logic, we could all set up sps tanks in one day with dry rock and live sand as long as we threw in some bottle bacteria and food, right?

Biological filtration is the building block of tanks. I'm not a scientist but I know there's there's reason we all cycle our tanks haha.

I've seen some really neat instant tanks done but those were with actual ocean live rock that had an existing microbiome.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean by that logic, we could all set up sps tanks in one day with dry rock and live sand as long as we threw in some bottle bacteria and food, right?

Biological filtration is the building block of tanks. I'm not a scientist but I know there's there's reason we all cycle our tanks haha.

I've seen some really neat instant tanks done but those were with actual ocean live rock that had an existing microbiome.

The cycling is done for fish, not coral. Corals are different in that the zooxanthellae can use ammonia as a nitrogen source and may even prefer it to something such as nitrate. I don't know of any data on what levels of ammonia switch from beneficial to detrimental to corals and if there even is one.

Mortimer452

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if your local fish store sells saltwater, most do. Buy 5 gallons from them, drain 30-50% of the tank and refill with saltwater from the LFS.

Maybe it's the pic but your lights look way too bright to me. Soft corals don't need much light and can die in a matter of days with too much light. Crank those light down if you can, if not, just turn them off, they'll do fine with ambient light from the room for a few days.

CoralsComeInMoreColors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you set the tank up, then instantly add corals? IF so, definitely WRONG. Did you cycle the tank at ALL? Corals should not go in a tank until it has been established. I would say at least 6 months.
I keep seeing 6 months for what people say when a tank is ready, I think there are a ton of factors, but the main indicator a tank is ready to run is when you stop seeing fluctuations and have stability in your tank, can be anywhere from 1 week to 2-3 months, I setup my 120g and put corals in it a week after and have yet to experience any coral death related to the topic.

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran some tests and this is what the results are?

Attachments

• IMG_4897.jpeg
    IMG_4897.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4895.jpeg
    IMG_4895.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4896.jpeg
    IMG_4896.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 20

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back