HELP , newbie to reefs

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things:

• A 5 gallon tank for a newbie in the hobby is not a good choice. Chemistry swings are very large in small tanks. When you combine that with your lack of experience, it won't end well. I know, I once tried getting into the hobby with a 5 gallon tank. It was a colossal failure.
  • You need to make your own salt water using RODI filtered water. DO NOT buy your water from the local fish store as they give you the OLD water and replenish their system with new water.
  • Your tank was too immature to add corals; a tank needs time to develop its ecosystem before it can support delicate creatures.
  • It is essential that you provide enough light to the tank. While the tank maybe well lit to the human eye, your need good spread and penetration as well.

I think the best path is to break down the tank and start over, properly, before you do anything else.

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for so much help, these are the plans that I have. I am going to test the water today. I am also going to salavage any coral that I can right now. I will probably do a 80-90 or even 100% water change, I do not have access at the moment to premade salt water so do you think the grocery store distilled water mixed with instant ocean will work? I will cycle some bacteria and get some food for my coral. How long/fast will I need this food and bacteria? Thank you everyone for the help and insight

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • You need to make your own salt water using RODI filtered water. DO NOT buy your water from the local fish store as they give you the OLD water and replenish their system with new water.
At least at the store where I work, this is not true. We make a fresh batch of water for customers daily using freshly-filter RODI and a brand-new box of salt, and old water is dumped into the sink where it belongs.

RedOtterCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals probably don't care about the nitrogen cycle.
I won't pretend to have experience with 'insta tanks" but from what I understand, especially on a tank this small is there would need to be some really established bacteria, no?

Otherwise those corals would be living in a sterile box, and if there was any die off or fish food probably a pretty intense ammonia spike, I'd think, right?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't pretend to have experience with 'insta tanks" but from what I understand, especially on a tank this small is there would need to be some really established bacteria, no?

Otherwise those corals would be living in a sterile box, and if there was any die off or fish food probably a pretty intense ammonia spike, I'd think, right?
Correct? And the ammonia is bad enough just for hardy fish, it is lethal for inverts.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m very new to reefs I got a 5 gallon nano tank for my room with a nice light. * I am sorry to say what I’m about to say*. Setting up the tank I used filtered water from my sink and mixed it with instant ocean and added it to the tank. I saw it said that on the back of the instant ocean package. I added water conditioner to clean the water and it seemed fine. I place live rock in it last night with 4 corals and I woke up this morning to it looking like this. I haven’t tested the water that much but I will get back to you with the readings, though I do not know what to do if they are off. I was misguided in setting up my tank and just want to continue down a right path what should I do. Right now the Xenia looks worse than that, it looks all shriveled up. Thank you sorry so vague

IMG_4890.jpeg IMG_4888.jpeg
In such small tank, things can from south VERY quickly. I would start over, with as I said earlier, a couple pieces of actual LIVE rock, and good lighting. If you work in a pet store, you should have access to a small amount of water from an established tank there. With that and the live rock, just let the tank be for a few weeks, monitoring the parameters so you know WHERE in the cycle things are. Once it has cycled, put in a couple small fish, like damsels or clowns. Then just let it be again for a couple weeks. If you want to have corals, you will need proper, good quality lighting. What type of filter do you have? As others said on here, RODI water. I would recommend getting an under the sink system, it makes life much easier for this hobby.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes a lot of sense , do you recommend me buying a API Stress Zyme Biological Filratook Booster, it adds beneficial Bacteria?
If you can do the process naturally, like with LIVE rock, it will go better. The bottled bacteria does work, but for such a small tank, you have no room for error.

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In such small tank, things can from south VERY quickly. I would start over, with as I said earlier, a couple pieces of actual LIVE rock, and good lighting. If you work in a pet store, you should have access to a small amount of water from an established tank there. With that and the live rock, just let the tank be for a few weeks, monitoring the parameters so you know WHERE in the cycle things are. Once it has cycled, put in a couple small fish, like damsels or clowns. Then just let it be again for a couple weeks. If you want to have corals, you will need proper, good quality lighting. What type of filter do you have? As others said on here, RODI water. I would recommend getting an under the sink system, it makes life much easier for this hobby.
Ok, but can I use the instant ocean and distilled water from grocery store?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least at the store where I work, this is not true. We make a fresh batch of water for customers daily using freshly-filter RODI and a brand-new box of salt, and old water is dumped into the sink where it belongs.

This is nice to hear.

I am guilty of painting with a broad brush where my opinions on the LFS are concerned.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The corals can use ammonia as a nitrogen source. Now whether or not they have an ammonia limit I don't know. However, the live sand should help with ammonia reduction (assuming it was live)

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place live rock in it last night with 4 corals and I woke up this morning to it looking like this.

Lets slow down.

Did the rock come from an LFS tank and stayed wet? Because that pre-empts a lot of the mentioned concerns.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS You may need a stronger light. I am not sure what that one is. Could you place a link or write out the name of it?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the same LFS sold you this tank and rock and coral at the same time and said you were good to go, they lied and just want your money. Take no more advice from them and don't expect to be able to return any livestock, they aren't obligated and probably not inclined.

Go purchase a bottle of Bio-Spira or Fritzyme TurboStart and use it as directed.

The coral will likely be a loss and lesson learned. You need to learn how to care for coral before jumping in.

As mentioned, a 5G can be tough because of how quickly things can change in smaller volumes, but if you keep up with a strict routine and stick to easy corals, you can be successful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back