Despite my best efforts, ich has returned

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you heavily use antibiotics targeting the gut it can have a negative impact on the fish.

Copper and almost any medication will also kill gut bacteria.
Brew, thats amazing that fish would get immunity. Who would have thought? ;)

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and almost any medication will also kill gut bacteria.
Brew, thats amazing that fish would get immunity. Who would have thought? ;)
I know this is a loaded question, (no pun intended), but how long from when i stop the medication and start gut loading with probiotic foods should i start to see some type of improved response from the fish?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give you a loaded answer. I have no Idea. But I will say that while probiotics are great, they are only good bacteria, you need all bacteria from the guts of animals. Clams or live worms will help immensly

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a loaded question, (no pun intended), but how long from when i stop the medication and start gut loading with probiotic foods should i start to see some type of improved response from the fish?
I can give you a loaded answer. I have no Idea. But I will say that while probiotics are great, they are only good bacteria, you need all bacteria from the guts of animals. Clams or live worms will help immensly
I would add that what MAY be the best thing to do is add fish that haven't been treated with antibiotics. Fish eat each others poo, which should share the good stuff from their gut with the fish that may need the good stuff to be added.

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. Stopped peroxide. thought it was having little effect on inverts, but now my BBTAs are huge and expansion of my LPS is really good. I also have a small outbreak of cyano. I wonder if it has something to do with the peroxide effecting the biom of the tank? Discontinued all medication. The fish are about the same. Maybe a little better, so i don't know if any of those efforts helped or not. The 150 W UV sterilizer will be on line next Monday. Other than the cyano, tank looks marvelous. Just need to get rid of the spots.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. Stopped peroxide. thought it was having little effect on inverts, but now my BBTAs are huge and expansion of my LPS is really good. I also have a small outbreak of cyano. I wonder if it has something to do with the peroxide effecting the biom of the tank? Discontinued all medication. The fish are about the same. Maybe a little better, so i don't know if any of those efforts helped or not. The 150 W UV sterilizer will be on line next Monday. Other than the cyano, tank looks marvelous. Just need to get rid of the spots.
Any update?

Captain K'nuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all my fish from three tanks on one sump to what looked like velvet and bruck in two days. All from a zoanthid frag I had dipped twice during qt. Still got through. Heartbroken I was. Swimming into wavemakers. Head shaking. Flashing. Smashing into sides of tank and ulcers. To scared to add anything now. Everything now gets double dips off the frag plug and longer Qt. Still wary.lost some real characters. Hope you get yours sorted. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t realize it has been this long. The UV did work. Haven’t seen a spot in some time. It’s still up and running. I’d take it down but going out of town next week and I generally make zero changes for as long as I can when I go out. Interested to see what happens when I take it offline. Only fish I lost through this whole ordeal is a kole tang. I did recently add a small hippo tang and have not seen any spots on it. Still got the cyano, but it’s just on sand now. improving with a gfo reactor.
Few pics of the tank so you can see the UV. It’s ugly!
2B1141B8-A901-41A8-9BAD-FD47275621A6.jpeg
496C89E2-93D1-4013-B57B-5F069E679F4A.jpeg
2DC54961-92D0-4D10-9780-AC8C4F378178.jpeg
A0DE29F9-1DE5-4608-BC14-8164CA3FA32E.jpeg

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t realize it has been this long. The UV did work. Haven’t seen a spot in some time. It’s still up and running. I’d take it down but going out of town next week and I generally make zero changes for as long as I can when I go out. Interested to see what happens when I take it offline. Only fish I lost through this whole ordeal is a kole tang. I did recently add a small hippo tang and have not seen any spots on it. Still got the cyano, but it’s just on sand now. improving with a gfo reactor.
Few pics of the tank so you can see the UV. It’s ugly!
2B1141B8-A901-41A8-9BAD-FD47275621A6.jpeg
2DC54961-92D0-4D10-9780-AC8C4F378178.jpeg
A0DE29F9-1DE5-4608-BC14-8164CA3FA32E.jpeg
Good work! Glad to hear it's working/managing well

cbb61032002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you think it was from the tsm fish? I have ordered some in the past and most have been beautiful and healthy. Got a wrasse a couple weeks ago with a dot on him right above a little wound. Talked with tsm and they reassured me. Quarantined for 4 or 5 days and he was looking great so I added him to the display. About 30 hours later, two white spots on a pectoral fin. I freaked out! Caught the wrasse and quickly and put it in quarantine but worry ich is now in the display. Sent tsm an angry email. Talked on the phone the next day and they reassured me that it is extremely unlikely to be ich. They haven’t had other customers in that quarantine group mention anything and they still have quite a few tangs in that group still there without spots. Spots go away after 2/3 days then I notice one on the dorsal fin. I’m trying to be trusting but usually when I do the “hope” thing with regards to ich it doesn’t go well.

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you think it was from the tsm fish? I have ordered some in the past and most have been beautiful and healthy. Got a wrasse a couple weeks ago with a dot on him right above a little wound. Talked with tsm and they reassured me. Quarantined for 4 or 5 days and he was looking great so I added him to the display. About 30 hours later, two white spots on a pectoral fin. I freaked out! Caught the wrasse and quickly and put it in quarantine but worry ich is now in the display. Sent tsm an angry email. Talked on the phone the next day and they reassured me that it is extremely unlikely to be ich. They haven’t had other customers in that quarantine group mention anything and they still have quite a few tangs in that group still there without spots. Spots go away after 2/3 days then I notice one on the dorsal fin. I’m trying to be trusting but usually when I do the “hope” thing with regards to ich it doesn’t go well.
No. Too much time passed between introduction of TSM fish and outbreak.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is ich, there is a chance that it has been in your system already and the stress from adding new fish allowed the small outbreak.

cbb61032002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is ich, there is a chance that it has been in your system already and the stress from adding new fish allowed the small outbreak.
Don’t think so. He was in a quarantine tank upon arrival that has not had any fish in it since being dried out for months. I don’t transfer wet supplies between tanks or anything. He got the spots 4 to 5 days later after being added to the display and only being in the display 30 hours or so. I am hoping I’m just being paranoid. TSM was very reassuring of their quarantine methods over the phone but this post made me doubt myself again! Too much past pain and suffering!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back