Destroying Coral

DevonMeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I bought some pulsing Xenias months ago. I payed 10 dollars for a few cut polyps. Well they are now gigantic colonies of polyps and taking up a lot of space. I've tried to sell and give them to others but there's no other hobbyists in miles. I suppose my question is, it it wrong to destroy coral for no reason other than it's taking up to much room? I feel really bad about it.

jmerideth1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many kenya trees its not even funny because I can't bring myself too kill em and the fish store won't take em

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd kill Xenia in a heartbeat.
Right now I'm killing Aiptasia with Berghia nudibranchs and I'm sure not losing any sleep about it. :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Most LFS will take them (you may or may not get store credit for them though) and you won't have to worry about whether it's wrong to kill them. :) If I were you, I'd just remove the rocks with it growing on it, take all that to the LFS and replace them with new live rock. If you cut them off the rock, they will just grow back.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused,I didn't think you could kill Xenia ,I never could.[emoji16]
lol
#1) place flat rock over them.
#2) run enough Purigen and watch them melt away.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol
#1) place flat rock over them.
#2) run enough Purigen and watch them melt away.

I'll tell ya I tried that. They just grew around the edges and over the flat rock! It was more than large enough to cover them all the way too. ;Rage Sneaky little things!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell ya I tried that. They just grew around the edges and over the flat rock! It was more than large enough to cover them all the way too. ;Rage Sneaky little things!
lol
I saw one reefer that grows Xenia in a fuge and he says it does a better job than chaeto. :)

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol
I saw one reefer that grows Xenia in a fuge and he says it does a better job than chaeto. :)

I can attest to this ^ great source of nutrient reduction in my AIO 30g (although I have anthelia, not Xenia)

I'd almost rather put up with high nutrients than have to deal with that stuff growing everywhere.. absolutely impossible to remove it all.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always trim mine and easy to peel off. I only have them by the back glass so it is easy to peel off. As soon as they start reaching for the rocks or move to a different place from where I placed them, they get trimmed. And oh I flush them too since no one wants them and it's not worth it for me to drop off at lfs since there is a 99.99% that they will not take them.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and there was also the time in 2003 when a small child took some in a vial to show and tell, and won. plastic vials not glass clearly lol.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had too many Xenia so was not interested. I did destroy the Xenia because it was taking over. I lost my fuzzy mushrooms [emoji265] because the Xenia smothered them

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back