Coral Destroyer Crab

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently posted about a concerning decline in my reef tank corals with seemingly no cause. My parameters have always been good and stable for the most part. I was very confused because an entire colony of 12+ rasta zoanthids and a smaller frag with 3 polyps disappeared overnight, but that was just the most recent case of mysterious coral decline. Well, I decided to look around with the lights on red and found this guy munching on my candycane coral, and I think he is the culprit. I turned on the UV channel and sure enough, he was taking large florescent chunks of tissue off the coral and eating it.That is the coral closest to the disappeared zoa colony. He has already been removed from the tank and disposed of as humanly as possible, but I am wondering what he was. He must have come in on my liverock from Florida, or I guess he could have survived my coral RX and hyposalinity dips. Can anyone id it? I know the pictures aren't great.

3294692-8661bde249be9bac94ad85c5e74caa84.jpg 1697757953550294280122159085956.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a red mithrax. I have had a few come on Florida rock but never had any problems with them. I feed a lot, maybe that's why they leave my coral alone. They do destroy bubble algae for me.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a red mithrax. I have had a few come on Florida rock but never had any problems with them. I feed a lot, maybe that's why they leave my coral alone. They do destroy bubble algae for me.
I have a red mythrax crab. He's an absolutely character. This guy doesn't look quite like him. Smaller claws, bigger carapace, more of a pattern.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back