Detatched Elegance Coral

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

A few months or more ago my gold tip elegance decided to let go of it's base. (Suspect perhaps due to dino's issues I was previously having the 6 months prior).
When it first happened I hoped it would just stay in the lower corner but the flow eventually made it travel around the tank and eventually get sucked up to the powerhead. Thankfully only a few polyps got hit by it and it recovered well. Since then I have been using a large separation box to keep it safe but it's quite large and takes up a lot of room at the top of the tank.

The elegance has been very happy since being kept in the box however I'm having a GHA issue in the tank which I've been battling so the box fills up with GHA that I have to clean out every week or two. It's a pain in the butt and the box itself at the best of times isn't very 'appealing'. I'll deal with the box (perhaps purchasing a slightly smaller one) if I have to as I want to keep the elegance as it's still a very beautiful coral and would be a shame to get rid of it just because it floats around.

Just wondering what people have done when theirs has let go of it's skeleton to keep it safe & secure but happy and healthy.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elegance can hang on for awhile. But I haven't heard of any without a base that lasted a truly long term. Given that there is a 99% chance this coral is doomed, you could try something strange like using a needle and thread to stitch it into a big deceased clamshell. Or 2 rocks glued together to make a protective base for it.

But I wouldn't beat yourself if any of theses methods, or no method at all leads to the death of the elegance.

Sorry.

Dave B

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elegance can hang on for awhile. But I haven't heard of any without a base that lasted a truly long term. Given that there is a 99% chance this coral is doomed, you could try something strange like using a needle and thread to stitch it into a big deceased clamshell. Or 2 rocks glued together to make a protective base for it.

But I wouldn't beat yourself if any of theses methods, or no method at all leads to the death of the elegance.

Sorry.

Dave B
Yeah, not too sure about stitching into a coral. Sounds like a way to butcher it haha
I've not read anything positive about them being kept long term after bailing out but... we'll see...

Yikes, do you have pics?

Sure see below!

20230821_171116.jpg

20230821_171125.jpg

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the elegance is still going strong. I found an old pico tank in my garage on the weekend and I'm considering setting this up purely for the elegance so I can get rid of the horrible separation box from the main tank.
Thinking bare bottom, no other livestock.
If I'm pulling water directly from my established tank, will I still need to do the cycle process?
Was thinking maybe running it for a week or so to get it settled and then putting it in or am I asking for trouble doing this ?

Would I also need to 'feed' it or would the water changes be enough to do that ? I currently don't feed it at all and haven't for months.

I think the pico is only a gallon or something of water so it's not very big at all.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going with the elegance? Did you set up the pico?
Elegance still going great but I haven't set up the pico yet and have just left it in the tank in in the separation box.

It's a pain because I need to clean it every 1-2 weeks to get the GHA off of it and doesn't look flash but it's happy there for now.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back