Detritus Eaters for a BB Tank

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2015
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Lubbock, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you folks recommend? I have detritus settle in spots I can't siphon in my bare bottom tank.
 
I would just let the detritus settle until it's time to do a water change. Use a power head to stir it up and then siphon out what you can. Running some sort of mechanical filtration for a few hours will also help. You might not get all of it out, but if you do this on a regular basis you shouldn't have any problems associated to the accumulation of detritus IMO. GL.
 
I would just let the detritus settle until it's time to do a water change. Use a power head to stir it up and then siphon out what you can. Running some sort of mechanical filtration for a few hours will also help. You might not get all of it out, but if you do this on a regular basis you shouldn't have any problems associated to the accumulation of detritus IMO. GL.
This is what I already do. crank up flow, blow off rocks, do WC while its all suspended and suck as much detritus off the bottom as I can, add filter floss to sump, and leave flow cranked for an hour after the WC. I was hoping a few more certain critters could help lighten up my load. My flow is already strong for an LPS tank. No high NO3 or problems with the detritus other than aesthetics.
 
I've yet to see a fish or an invertebrate make a pile of detritus in a BB tank disappear. Your current routine is probably your best bet. GL.
 
Yeah, larger creatures (like those you'd get from an LFS) are typically more scavenger than deteivore.

The only thing I can think of is to buy a couple small brittle stars. They'll hang out in those problem areas and eat the tasty bits out of the gunk piles.

Besides that? An aged 1 inch sandbed [emoji38]
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new