Detritus Eaters for a BB Tank

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you folks recommend? I have detritus settle in spots I can't siphon in my bare bottom tank.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let the detritus settle until it's time to do a water change. Use a power head to stir it up and then siphon out what you can. Running some sort of mechanical filtration for a few hours will also help. You might not get all of it out, but if you do this on a regular basis you shouldn't have any problems associated to the accumulation of detritus IMO. GL.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let the detritus settle until it's time to do a water change. Use a power head to stir it up and then siphon out what you can. Running some sort of mechanical filtration for a few hours will also help. You might not get all of it out, but if you do this on a regular basis you shouldn't have any problems associated to the accumulation of detritus IMO. GL.
This is what I already do. crank up flow, blow off rocks, do WC while its all suspended and suck as much detritus off the bottom as I can, add filter floss to sump, and leave flow cranked for an hour after the WC. I was hoping a few more certain critters could help lighten up my load. My flow is already strong for an LPS tank. No high NO3 or problems with the detritus other than aesthetics.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to see a fish or an invertebrate make a pile of detritus in a BB tank disappear. Your current routine is probably your best bet. GL.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, larger creatures (like those you'd get from an LFS) are typically more scavenger than deteivore.

The only thing I can think of is to buy a couple small brittle stars. They'll hang out in those problem areas and eat the tasty bits out of the gunk piles.

Besides that? An aged 1 inch sandbed [emoji38]

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back