Detritus Trap = Pod Heaven

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last week I cleared out a piece of my reef which was loaded with gummy detritus. Seperately, I also took out a lot of GHA and did a water change.

I'm regreting it now because I think maybe that was a place with a lot of pods that my fish could have eaten.

Is this a reasonable suspicion (ie. detritus traps are great for pods), or am I just over-thinking it?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto ball is a huge detritus trap but it's also a haven for an awful lot of life (baby snails, pods, bristle worms, brittle stars). I hate to harvest it sometimes but that's what it's there for. I agree with @Justfebreezeit . If it's that much of a nursery it will grow back.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly stopped removing detritus from my system as part of regular maintenance; though I do a major frag tank clean out every year or so that removes a bunch. I no longer think it's the major problem it was always cracked up to be (I think it's mostly inert by the time it settles out), and it is home to a wealth of benthic animals like microstars, bristle stars, bristle worms, and various pods. I would remove it from my display for aesthetic reasons, except I have so much flow that none of it settles out.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back