Devil's Hand not growing. Tips?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I've had this Devil's Hand leather for several years. It's about 5" when fully opened. It's been that size since I got it. It's never looked sick. It is in the "medium to high" lighting area of the tank. Good flow. Just doesn't seem to grow.

Any tips or experience with these?

(FWIW - My other leathers are monsters - mushrooms of all kinds with the biggest 12-14"across, having grown from 4" when I got it.)

Thanks!

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how fast people can get them to grow. Mine has doubled in size, but in like 8 mos. I have it in high light and high-ish flow.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a devil's hand like mine (lobophytum), it is very picky. It will get mad and drop babies like crazy and look terrible, then when I move it to a slightly different area, it will perk up and stop dropping and come out growing like mad.
Mine is in a grow out tank and currently on the latter stage. Happy and not dropping frags all the time.

They like food, and not super strong flow. Good luck!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your other corals are doing well, then you probably have the magic reef touch already; maybe it’s just a one-off stubborn/finicky coral (?)

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a devil's hand like mine (lobophytum), it is very picky. It will get mad and drop babies like crazy and look terrible, then when I move it to a slightly different area, it will perk up and stop dropping and come out growing like mad.
Mine is in a grow out tank and currently on the latter stage. Happy and not dropping frags all the time.

They like food, and not super strong flow. Good luck!
What do you feed yours?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you have other leathers. Are they near it? Do you run carbon? I wonder if toxins or something else is bothering it. Not likely, but a thought :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broadcast food. so they may get phyto, zoo, rotifers, other things like that. I have lots of different foods. I will have to figure out what some day. :)

Back