DI water with 0.00 TDS for a few days?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two 25-30gl food grade brute cans that I store pure DI with. I check it with a high grade TDS meter (Amazon, forgot the model but several reefers own it) and purchased the 342ppm calibration fluid for the TDS meter.

when I make my DI, I let the system run for 15min TDS creep.
Connect the DI cartridge and test water till it reads 0.00.
When trash cans are near full, I check the incoming drip water to see if I’m still receiving low TDS water.

The last 3 times I filled my buckets up is when I started measuring the TDS of the water around 25% full and noticed I had TDS numbers popping up. I clean each can with paper towels between refills.

How long does still DI stay at 0TDS?
Could my brute can be holding something I’m not aware of or is this normal for stagnant water?

No visible algae issues, just mentally don’t like putting in DI water with over 2.0TDS
Tyvm

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know others will disagree but I would have no problem with using RODI with a small tds number. Mine reads 3 tds and I’ve been using it like that for years with no issues. I have a buddy that just uses carbon block, non rodi, and has no issues at all. As for your issue, it sounds like either you are not using a lid, or your brute can is slightly leaching something. I highly doubt either would cause you any issues.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of reading the TDS of the output is to make sure the stuff from tap water got removed.
Once in storage it really doesnt matter what it is. The tap water stuff didnt get back in there.
If you opened a salt bucket near the water storage without it totally sealed the TDS would go up from the salt dust.
Lots of things could make the TDS rise but none of them will bother your tank with reasonable precaution.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The purpose of reading the TDS of the output is to make sure the stuff from tap water got removed.
Once in storage it really doesnt matter what it is. The tap water stuff didnt get back in there.
If you opened a salt bucket near the water storage without it totally sealed the TDS would go up from the salt dust.
Lots of things could make the TDS rise but none of them will bother your tank with reasonable precaution.

Wow, awesome!! I guess I got caught up in the numbers game. It makes perfect sense tho, all of the junk has been removed and as long as I keep the lid on, all should be great.

@F i s h y yes I have a lid and rollers on all four of my brute trash cans. Two are for RODI, one for mixing and last was for fish QT/WC/DI transport top off/etc.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, awesome!! I guess I got caught up in the numbers game. It makes perfect sense tho, all of the junk has been removed and as long as I keep the lid on, all should be great.

@F i s h y yes I have a lid and rollers on all four of my brute trash cans. Two are for RODI, one for mixing and last was for fish QT/WC/DI transport top off/etc.
Good. Keeping organics and dust out is a must. This time of year pollen is terrible. It adds organics to any open water quickly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back