Diagnose my maxspect xf330 gyre issue?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out what the problem is with this gyre. Appreciate anyone that watches the video and lets me know if this has something to do with the bushings or the impellers or maybe the magnetic rod that goes inside the motor...

Turn the volume up, and you can hear the vibrating and clacking sound that happens when it gets near 0%

Thanks!!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture from the top:
1709798437618.jpeg

I have an endcap on the B side so it only runs the A side of the gyre, but it does this same thing and stops running after clicking a few times when the B side is on. Right now, it vibrates and makes the clacking sound particularly once the % hits zero and it starts up again.

YBF_Reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like it’s unbalanced? Is the cap hitting anything? Is it stopping to prevent it from jamming?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ever pumping water out? It may have a burnt winding causing the rotor to vibrate back and forth instead of spinning.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ever pumping water out? It may have a burnt winding causing the rotor to vibrate back and forth instead of spinning.
It does pump water. When it ramps up from 0%, accelerates, sometimes stops and then goes again. I tried just putting it on constant stream, but it never gets to a point where it just runs nonstop. It will make a clackign noise, stop, then start again.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm:thinking-face:, hard to say without witnessing. The next "logical" idea from the symptoms you describe, maybe a worn bushing/bearing that allows the rotor to get thrown off center far enough that the fins make contact with the housing thus stopping it. The faster the spin the more centrifugal force throwing it off center. That could explain why it ramps, up then stops, then restarts. But I am totally guessing at this point.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm:thinking-face:, hard to say without witnessing. The next "logical" idea from the symptoms you describe, maybe a worn bushing/bearing that allows the rotor to get thrown off center far enough that the fins make contact with the housing thus stopping it. The faster the spin the more centrifugal force throwing it off center. That could explain why it ramps, up then stops, then restarts. But I am totally guessing at this point.
I'll try swapping the bushings with the cage that isn't in use and see what happens. Can also buy more bushings as that's not a bad thing to have in hand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back