Maxspect Gyre XF330 Vibrates

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of pumps and one of them is just making a horrible vibration noise when it pushes water.

I took it apart and turned on the motor block just with the shaft components intact and it makes the same horrible sound outside of water.

I can’t see anything visibly damaged or warped in the shaft, bushings, or magnet.

Has anyone had such an experience with this pump? I’m looking through CoralVue’s parts website…wondering if it’s just a matter of replacing parts.

The shaft set for the 330 is here:

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of pumps and one of them is just making a horrible vibration noise when it pushes water.

I took it apart and turned on the motor block just with the shaft components intact and it makes the same horrible sound outside of water.

I can’t see anything visibly damaged or warped in the shaft, bushings, or magnet.

Has anyone had such an experience with this pump? I’m looking through CoralVue’s parts website…wondering if it’s just a matter of replacing parts.

The shaft set for the 330 is here:
I have a similar problem, Isaac. One of my pair makes a loud clicking noise on the B side and then stops turning (in water). Also looking at parts, but I don't want to dump a lot of money on replacement shafts, impellers and bushings if that's not exactly what the problem is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Following

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar problem, Isaac. One of my pair makes a loud clicking noise on the B side and then stops turning (in water). Also looking at parts, but I don't want to dump a lot of money on replacement shafts, impellers and bushings if that's not exactly what the problem is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Following
I’m totally in the same boat. It actually does the click and pause once in a while as well.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about the newer versions but I had those issues from time to time with the older models. It was next to impossible to disassemble the actual middle component containing the magnet.

Then after it would get cleaned putting it back together was also not simple and it had to be done properly or the unit would not spin properly.

I found that there were smaller bushings that would get small calcifications or worse the magnet ends (white) could get bent when trying to disassemble and if that happened the whole unit was ruined.

I had to replace a whole unit once. Then eventually another one crapped out and I couldn’t get replacement parts so I had to trash it. My last one eventually wore out because when I tried to clean it, it would not work and again-no replacement parts.

These were Maxspect gyres before the version with the directional tops that help direct the flow.

My friend has the newer versions which looked way easier to take apart. I did not see him disassemble the magnet chamber so I am curious if that’s where your problem is.

I personally think the flow is the best w the gyres but have been hesitant to get another one because I don’t want to run into the same issues.

How much disassembly did you do?

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I reread your posts and I feel very confident the issue is in the magnet housing. I had same issues w my older versions.

Can you take that apart? If so you need to clean it as there will be buildup in there and sometimes the bushings need replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I reread your posts and I feel very confident the issue is in the magnet housing. I had same issues w my older versions.

Can you take that apart? If so you need to clean it as there will be buildup in there and sometimes the bushings need replacement.
I'm going to give that housing a deep cleaning. Even though I took it apart last night and scrubbed the housing just with a pipe cleaner...not debris or anything in there. The bushings and everything look like new with no warping or crud. Pain in the butt.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to give that housing a deep cleaning. Even though I took it apart last night and scrubbed the housing just with a pipe cleaner...not debris or anything in there. The bushings and everything look like new with no warping or crud. Pain in the butt.
I will try that too, but barring no success, I am wondering if I can leave the impeller for side B off and only have one impeller running.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it goes. I am curious.

I have such a love hate relationship with my old gyres. I find that the MPs just don't do the same type of flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back