Diagnosis needed: big white spots on clarkii clown

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Hermione. I just noticed this morning the two big white spots on her left side. Freshwater ich I've seen is much smaller white spots, so I'm thinking injury or parasite.

Any guesses?

Nothing new in the tank for months, and that was a goni (the pink one that also happens to be in the picture) from a good LFS. No new fishing for over a year. Perhaps it's been dormant and she's unlucky or stressed. Only being fed once a day and having no responsibility other than keeping the smaller fish in line can be hard I suppose.

PXL_20220911_170450531.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be helpful if you could give more information - It is most likely this is a viral infection. Weather lymphocystis - or something else - even a tumor (don't know how old the fish is). If you could give more information - with regards to the fish, your parameters, etc - if you look in my signature - you can see a link. PS - I'm assuming the fish is otherwise healthy with no symptoms.

A picture under white light is actually much better - but understand that can be hard. Hope this helps - and - with no symptoms - I might watch.

With the following caveat - Really NOTHING new - no coral, no CUC, etc NOTHING

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is Hermione. I just noticed this morning the two big white spots on her left side. Freshwater ich I've seen is much smaller white spots, so I'm thinking injury or parasite.

Any guesses?

Nothing new in the tank for months, and that was a goni (the pink one that also happens to be in the picture) from a good LFS. No new fishing for over a year. Perhaps it's been dormant and she's unlucky or stressed. Only being fed once a day and having no responsibility other than keeping the smaller fish in line can be hard I suppose.

Spots can be flukes or lymphocystis but keep an eye on it to assure it doesn’t multiply
A 5 minute freshwater dip may alleviate what you’re seeing and can be as simple as grains of sand

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spots can be flukes or lymphocystis but keep an eye on it to assure it doesn’t multiply
A 5 minute freshwater dip may alleviate what you’re seeing and can be as simple as grains of sand
I'm curious - In your opinion - how often does this happen with grains of sand - especially after a couple days. I have not seen this sand issue before the last couple of days - so thats my interest:)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any guesses?

It isn’t ich or flukes and very unlikely to be lymphocystis. This appears to be a long term captive - the pronounced scales and slightly cloudy eye….not uncommon for older fish to develop random bumps/scrapes/blemishes… think that could be it?
Jay

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t ich or flukes and very unlikely to be lymphocystis. This appears to be a long term captive - the pronounced scales and slightly cloudy eye….not uncommon for older fish to develop random bumps/scrapes/blemishes… think that could be it?
Jay
Very well could be. I took the fish with live rock when I got the tank 3+ years ago. I think the guy said he had them for about a year. Who knows how long they'd been in the LFS.

So... treatment? Just let nature be nature and hope I don't have to break corals to pull the body? (I'm not heartless, be she's not very nice to other fish or my hand when I'm cleaning.)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm curious - In your opinion - how often does this happen with grains of sand - especially after a couple days. I have not seen this sand issue before the last couple of days - so thats my interest:)
Occasionally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well could be. I took the fish with live rock when I got the tank 3+ years ago. I think the guy said he had them for about a year. Who knows how long they'd been in the LFS.

So... treatment? Just let nature be nature and hope I don't have to break corals to pull the body? (I'm not heartless, be she's not very nice to other fish or my hand when I'm cleaning.)
I just don’t see any of the major treatable diseases here, and I don’t like to use “shotgun” approaches….l’d just wait to see if new symptoms develop.
Jay

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone finds this thread and has something similar wrong with their fish, she did get better on her own. She never had any symptoms other than the spots though.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In case anyone finds this thread and has something similar wrong with their fish, she did get better on her own. She never had any symptoms other than the spots though.
Im sure it was sand grain

Back