Diamond goby and Mandarin?

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin that I have had for about 8 months...I am wanting to maybe add a diamond goby to help with the sand cleaning. My question is will the 2 get along? And will the diamond strip pods from the sand?

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin that I have had for about 8 months...I am wanting to maybe add a diamond goby to help with the sand cleaning. My question is will the 2 get along? And will the diamond strip pods from the sand?
Yes, you should be able to add one no problem. Mine get along fine. Occasionally if my mandarin goes in the area he's cleaning, he'll open his mouth to show him how big he is. The diamond goby eats micro fauna from the sand. I believe most of your pods are in the rock work.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t really compete for food and thus are likely to coexist in a good-sized tank just fine.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies don't compete for pods too much, but they will eat any pods in that top layer of sand, so I probably wouldn't keep the 2 together in a 40g or smaller, but in anything bigger should be fine. They will not behave aggressively toward a mandarin.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome I was more worried about them getting along than anything else...my mandarin is kick butt and I have a bi color basslet that I have to try to catch cause he bullies him. Just didn’t want to put in another fish I’m going to have to get out.

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome I was more worried about them getting along than anything else...my mandarin is kick *** and I have a bi color basslet that I have to try to catch cause he bullies him. Just didn’t want to put in another fish I’m going to have to get out.
Good to hear! You have him eating frozen as well? I took a video of my dude eating mysis believe it or not!

ColbyNTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the two together in a 76. Never seen any issues between them. The diamond goby does keep my entire sand bed super clean. He will rearrange your floor though.

Jmt79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a diamond goby to my 75g and I also have a mandarin goby who has been eating frozen brine shrimp for about 2 months now. After adding the diamond goby, my mandarin seems more timid than usual and hasn’t been taking the food I’ve offered her ( she normally is a good eater) I’m hoping she is just a little shy around her new tank make and that it will pass. I haven’t seen any aggressive behavior from the diamond. Any one else have a similar experience?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back