Diamond Goby and Wide Barred Goby

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently added a Diamond Sand Sifting Goby (Diamond) to our 125 gallon mixed reef tank. We had a Wide-Barred Shrimp Goby (Clyde) that was previously paired with a Pistol Shrimp who has not left the corner that they occupied when the Pistol Shrimp was alive despite 2 major changes in the rock structuring in the tank. My LFS warned that the 2 will probably not get along but I figured with the size of the tank and the extensive rock work - we should be ok. I introduced Diamond at the opposite end of the tank from where Clyde resides 3 days ago. To my surprise, yesterday I discovered that Diamond is digging tunnels in Clyde's territory. Today I took a peek into the area to see how they are getting on and was surprised to see both of them sitting side by side in a cave that Diamond had dug. Does Clyde miss his companion shrimp so bad that he accepted Diamond as a substitute? We have 4 wrasses so adding another Pistol Shrimp (or any shrimp for that matter) is out of the question - they just become expensive snacks. Clyde is about 2" longer than Diamond.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"burrow buddies"... :cool:

OP
OP
Trouble1375

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Diamond Goby tried to jump out of tank, hit the hood and bent its spine. It was shaped like the letter C and swam in awkward circles while breathing hard so we did the right thing and put it out of its misery. Now the wide barred Goby won’t leave the area where the Diamond goby was last seen - he’s a lonely worrywart.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back