OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not her fault you didn't do your research. You should have looked on the Internet before you went to the pet store. A sandsifter will sift sand.I don't know what you thought you would get asking for one. I'm sorry if I sound abrupt but can't let you blame someone else for your bad decisions .
No, I totally agree. I usually do a lot of research on anything I put in my tank, I learned that lesson a long time ago. I should have known better.

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudy water is a good thing; you've neglected the substrate so detritus has built up and the fish is kicking it back up into the water column. That is a win win, less maintenance for you (though little has been done it sounds like), food for the corals, and removal of excess to the sump/skimmer/what have you. In time, all of that will be removed and your sand will remain clean. Unless you have corals on the sand that are easily moved (e.g. on frag plugs), everything will be fine. I wouldn't trade my diamond goby for anything; does the intended job extremely well.
You know, I use to siphon my sand, then someone told me I shouldn't do that, so I stopped . It is getting better, and the fish seems to be settling in a little. My sand is nice and white now.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I get for buying a fish on an impulse. I told the lady at my LFS that I wanted a sand sifter, and this is what she recommend. I should know better then to listen to these people.
Well in all honesty, you asked for a sand sifter and you were given a good recommendation for a darn good one! Just give him some time... he's going to keep that sand bed really nice looking!

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in all honesty, you asked for a sand sifter and you were given a good recommendation for a darn good one! Just give him some time... he's going to keep that sand bed really nice looking!
Thanks, he's getting more settled, and not digging as much. And you're right, my sand is getting nice and white.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, he's getting more settled, and not digging as much. And you're right, my sand is getting nice and white.
I think you will be really happy once that sand storm reduces... maybe did a little vacuuming to help get some of the surface stuff out so he doesn't stir as much up. It sounds like he's as happy as he can be playing in the sand, though, lol. I have one in quarantine right now... can't wait to get him in the tank to clean up my sand!

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be really happy once that sand storm reduces... maybe did a little vacuuming to help get some of the surface stuff out so he doesn't stir as much up. It sounds like he's as happy as he can be playing in the sand, though, lol. I have one in quarantine right now... can't wait to get him in the tank to clean up my sand!
It's funny, he's the first fish I've had that actually comes out and greets me in the morning.

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got worse with time and was never happy with just one cave he built them all over and made a huge mess daily and almost killed multiple corals before I rehomed him. My sand was always so clean but I like my corals and don’t like sand hills lol

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a diamond Goby, and he is digging holes everywhere. Is this going to continue, or will he find a good shot and settle in. My tank is looking like a constant dust storm.
UN like,y he will probably settle under one rock and dig it out. Then he may get bored and go elsewhere.
I have one that is big. And he dies his thing. If you got clouds then you have very fine sand. I use Fiji Pink which is fine no dust storms at all.
All he is doing is his job
Filter the sand

Uncle Eddie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine. Greets me in the morning by swimming up to the glass will spit sand at the glass if I don’t pay attention to him.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I totally agree. I usually do a lot of research on anything I put in my tank, I learned that lesson a long time ago. I should have known better.
Honestly , as long as your rock work is on the glass and not on the sand then he or she will probably turn out to be the best investment you have ever made. I love my sand sifters they make a flat and boring sand bed into something that resembles the ocean floor. They do a way better job than a syphon.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I get for buying a fish on an impulse. I told the lady at my LFS that I wanted a sand sifter, and this is what she recommend. I should know better then to listen to these people.
You asked for a sand sifter.

That goby is a sand sifter.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a pain in the butt but keeps my sand spotless. I never had a problem with sand storms but he's killed off many frags. I've got an 8' tank so keeping track of frags is hard and I often wouldn't know they were missing until a couple weeks later. Now I've actually moved the majority of my sand to back behind the rocks where he isn't tempted to collect anything except shells and the frags he's already killed. He does his job well but it got to the point my wife named him trouble maker. He was even fond of burying my maxi mini?

And I wouldn't worry about spot feeding him. When mine is hungry he is out with the rest of fish taking food out of the water column. He probably does this 2-3 times a week.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a diamond Goby, and he is digging holes everywhere. Is this going to continue, or will he find a good shot and settle in. My tank is looking like a constant dust storm.

It might help to threw a handful of rubble against a rock or somewhere you'd like to see it live.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to ask all of you guy's that have one are they bad about covering your coral?
I find that my golden headed sleeper goby can put sand on anything below the 4inch mark on the tank. I just moved aythin that couldn't deal with it a bit higher. He doesn't do it all of the time but some coral don't like sand on them.

Gerry1563

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my diamond backs. I have a pair. They house together every night and are fairly close at all times. We call them the Italians of the tank, due to all the reconstruction they do every day...lol. Fun to watch work, especially when one digs a hole and the other one fills it in at the same time. I feed mine large sinking shrimp pellets and mysis shrimp. They love it. Great addition.

Back