Diamond Goby causing havoc.

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Roy 9121, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Roy 9121

Roy 9121 Valuable Member

No, I totally agree. I usually do a lot of research on anything I put in my tank, I learned that lesson a long time ago. I should have known better.

._Z_. likes this.

2. Roy 9121

Roy 9121 Valuable Member

You know, I use to siphon my sand, then someone told me I shouldn't do that, so I stopped . It is getting better, and the fish seems to be settling in a little. My sand is nice and white now.

Cae, Zack K and Idoc like this.
  3. Idoc

Idoc Valuable Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Well in all honesty, you asked for a sand sifter and you were given a good recommendation for a darn good one! Just give him some time... he's going to keep that sand bed really nice looking!

Andrew Florjancic, Cae and Zack K like this.
  4. Roy 9121

Roy 9121 Valuable Member

Thanks, he's getting more settled, and not digging as much. And you're right, my sand is getting nice and white.

5. Idoc

Idoc Valuable Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

I think you will be really happy once that sand storm reduces... maybe did a little vacuuming to help get some of the surface stuff out so he doesn't stir as much up. It sounds like he's as happy as he can be playing in the sand, though, lol. I have one in quarantine right now... can't wait to get him in the tank to clean up my sand!

6. Roy 9121

Roy 9121 Valuable Member

It's funny, he's the first fish I've had that actually comes out and greets me in the morning.

Zack K and Idoc like this.
  7. S.O.MLemos

S.O.MLemos Active Member

Mine got worse with time and was never happy with just one cave he built them all over and made a huge mess daily and almost killed multiple corals before I rehomed him. My sand was always so clean but I like my corals and don’t like sand hills lol

8. Bob Escher

Bob Escher Bye bye freshwater R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

UN like,y he will probably settle under one rock and dig it out. Then he may get bored and go elsewhere.
    I have one that is big. And he dies his thing. If you got clouds then you have very fine sand. I use Fiji Pink which is fine no dust storms at all.
    All he is doing is his job
    Filter the sand

9. Uncle Eddie

Uncle Eddie Member Partner Member 2018

Love mine. Greets me in the morning by swimming up to the glass will spit sand at the glass if I don’t pay attention to him.

10. Cae

Cae Member

Honestly , as long as your rock work is on the glass and not on the sand then he or she will probably turn out to be the best investment you have ever made. I love my sand sifters they make a flat and boring sand bed into something that resembles the ocean floor. They do a way better job than a syphon.

Zack K likes this.
  11. Makers Marc

Makers Marc Active Member

You asked for a sand sifter.

That goby is a sand sifter.

Andrew Florjancic likes this.
  12. paphater

paphater Well-Known Member

Mine is a pain in the *** but keeps my sand spotless. I never had a problem with sand storms but he's killed off many frags. I've got an 8' tank so keeping track of frags is hard and I often wouldn't know they were missing until a couple weeks later. Now I've actually moved the majority of my sand to back behind the rocks where he isn't tempted to collect anything except shells and the frags he's already killed. He does his job well but it got to the point my wife named him trouble maker. He was even fond of burying my maxi mini?

And I wouldn't worry about spot feeding him. When mine is hungry he is out with the rest of fish taking food out of the water column. He probably does this 2-3 times a week.

Zack K likes this.
  13. salty joe

salty joe Active Member

It might help to threw a handful of rubble against a rock or somewhere you'd like to see it live.

Zack K likes this.
  14. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

He will still move it where he wants it.

15. Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1 Valuable Member

Man just send it to me.

16. Cae

Cae Member

I find that my golden headed sleeper goby can put sand on anything below the 4inch mark on the tank. I just moved aythin that couldn't deal with it a bit higher. He doesn't do it all of the time but some coral don't like sand on them.

17. Gerry1563

Gerry1563 Member

Love my diamond backs. I have a pair. They house together every night and are fairly close at all times. We call them the Italians of the tank, due to all the reconstruction they do every day...lol. Fun to watch work, especially when one digs a hole and the other one fills it in at the same time. I feed mine large sinking shrimp pellets and mysis shrimp. They love it. Great addition.

Zack K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted